Durability of Hammered Paints -- Good

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

I have a cistern pump mounted on a rain collection drum and I have it painted with the hammered "verde" green (not sure that is the color). Anyway I have found that I need to do a bit of respraying every year. Some of the spots are due to parts rubbing while others might be due to the nature of it being in a wet environment.

This pump is from the lee valley people so it might well be a bit different material then the previous one that I had painted a straight rustoleum yellow color which would go for several year before requiring touch ups. The 55 gallon drum is also painted with a stock rustoleum paint and it can go for years without touch ups.

Not very scientific but I'd say the stock regular paint is holding up better then the hammered finish in my case.

This is the only picture I could find (to many pictures to search so this is really the first one I found) that had the pump in it. It wasn't the focal point of the photo but I think you can spot it... save you from have to look up what kind of pump I was talking about and gives you an idea of the color.
[ATTACH]6237[/ATTACH]

Ed
Attachments
green pump.jpg
green pump.jpg (71.45 KiB) Viewed 2458 times
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

reible wrote:Hi,

I have a cistern pump mounted on a rain collection drum and I have it painted with the hammered "verde" green (not sure that is the color). Anyway I have found that I need to do a bit of respraying every year. Some of the spots are due to parts rubbing while others might be due to the nature of it being in a wet environment.
Ed
Were you a good doobie and prep your base metal correctly? Great shot of the chuck. Looks like a photo for a magazine!! Lastly, think the paint is "Deep Green". Verde has a bit more blue in it.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

The pump came painted so I can not be sure how well they did at that but only a few places have come off down to the casting. Those I clean and prime then repaint. I used a pre-paint cleaner before put the finish on and it sat and dried for about a week before I put it in to use. Most of the paint has stayed on but it has not done as well as the previous pump/paint job.

You were right about the color it is deep green. The drum is spruce green.

Actually the photo was for a layout in the August issue of Chuck and Key magazine... OK maybe it was to show off a previous rust bucket set after a beauty treatment in electrolysis pool and a bit of buffing up after.
Before:
[ATTACH]6243[/ATTACH]

Ed

mickyd wrote:Were you a good doobie and prep your base metal correctly? Great shot of the chuck. Looks like a photo for a magazine!! Lastly, think the paint is "Deep Green". Verde has a bit more blue in it.
Attachments
DSCF6583sc.jpg
DSCF6583sc.jpg (29.79 KiB) Viewed 2448 times
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]