Durability of Hammered Paints -- Good

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

baysidebob
Gold Member

Post by baysidebob »

mickyd wrote:Beautiful car!!! Thanks for posting. 289??
What's the vertical orange colored feature directly in front of the passenger door? Text?
And where is that distributor? Really is a nice looking ride, you should be proud of this..
I keep finding little windows on this forum, that I don't really know what they do. So sometimes I experiment. Probably shouldn't do that, I know in my shop it can get me into trouble.
Bayside Bob
mrblanche
Gold Member

Post by mrblanche »

It's a Chevy 350. Well, a 357, since it's bored .30 over. Very mild, just a little cam.

The distributor is in the back, where God intended for them to be.

The text in front of the door is either "Cut here for normal T bucket" or "Cut here to reduce fun 50%." I don't remember which was on which side, but it's no longer there, since I took it off in anticipation of repainting the body...about 2 years ago.

This would have been much easier to build, had I had a Shopsmith back then (2001).
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

mrblanche wrote:It's a Chevy 350........
Henry must be rolling over in his grave!!!:eek:
Mike
Sunny San Diego
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

mickyd wrote:Henry must be rolling over in his grave!!!:eek:
Nah...Henry's first car, the one he built in a shed and then had to tear a wall apart to get it out, was the very first Cadillac. When his partners and he disagreed, they bought him out and used that car to start Cadillac. Check out the fourth paragraph of this web page.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

a1gutterman wrote:Nah...Henry's first car, the one he built in a shed and then had to tear a wall apart to get it out, was the very first Cadillac. When his partners and he disagreed, they bought him out and used that car to start Cadillac. Check out the fourth paragraph of this web page.
Great history Tim. Thanks for sharing. Very interesting.
You must have been a very young man back then. :D
Mike
Sunny San Diego
mrblanche
Gold Member

Post by mrblanche »

It turns out that the first Oldsmobiles were at least partly Dodge, and all of Ford's cars were Dodges.

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/bios/dodge-brothers.html

All of those companies were inter-connected at first.

By the way, the story of woodworking at the Ford company is legendary. Especially the story about his insisting on parts being shipped to him in very specifically-sized crates. Turned out he was using the disassembled crates in his cars! And the scraps were used to start his brother-in-law's busines, Kingsford Charcoal.

Here's a friend's car. He is a fantastic woodworker. You should see the teardrop trailer he built!

dickg1
Gold Member

Post by dickg1 »

mrblanche wrote: By the way, the story of woodworking at the Ford company is legendary. Especially the story about his insisting on parts being shipped to him in very specifically-sized crates. Turned out he was using the disassembled crates in his cars! And the scraps were used to start his brother-in-law's busines, Kingsford Charcoal.

Back (waaay back) in my early college days I lived in the "Y". One of the elderly gentlemen living there had owned a metal plating company in his younger days and told me of his experiences with the Ford Motor company. It seemed he won a contract to provide plated knobs, handles, etc. What confused him were provisions in his contract which required that he ship the parts in oak wooden boxes of particular dimensions with holes bored in certain places. Of course, he complied. After a visit to Dearborn he found that his boxes (and many others) were being used as floorboards in Model T's. Henry was a very clever and frugal businessman.
Dick
A Veteran-whether Active Duty, Retired, National Guard or Reserve-Is Someone Who, at One Point in Their Life, Signed a Blank Check Made Payable To "The United States of America", For An Amount of 'Up To and Including My Life'
baysidebob
Gold Member

Post by baysidebob »

mrblanche wrote:It's a Chevy 350. Well, a 357, since it's bored .30 over. Very mild, just a little cam.

The distributor is in the back, where God intended for them to be.

The text in front of the door is either "Cut here for normal T bucket" or "Cut here to reduce fun 50%." I don't remember which was on which side, but it's no longer there, since I took it off in anticipation of repainting the body...about 2 years ago.

This would have been much easier to build, had I had a Shopsmith back then (2001).
mrblanche, yep I noticed it was a chevy engine, it is hard to fool use true Chevy buffs The reason I posted, where is the dist. is because you were asked if it was a 289.
My latest build is a 1978 Chevy Stepside PU. It will have a Merlin Engine 710 CI, completely polished engine. Engine has been dyno ran and putting out 781 HP with 790 Ft/LBS of torque.
Still about a year away before it is done.............Should be a fun ride when finished..........
I keep finding little windows on this forum, that I don't really know what they do. So sometimes I experiment. Probably shouldn't do that, I know in my shop it can get me into trouble.
Bayside Bob
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

mrblanche wrote:It turns out that the first Oldsmobiles were at least partly Dodge, and all of Ford's cars were Dodges.

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/bios/dodge-brothers.html

All of those companies were inter-connected at first.

By the way, the story of woodworking at the Ford company is legendary. Especially the story about his insisting on parts being shipped to him in very specifically-sized crates. Turned out he was using the disassembled crates in his cars! And the scraps were used to start his brother-in-law's busines, Kingsford Charcoal.

Here's a friend's car. He is a fantastic woodworker. You should see the teardrop trailer he built!
Is that thing street legal??? With that short wheelbase and monster motor, I can see why he's got wheelie bars on it!! Beautiful car!!
Mike
Sunny San Diego
mrblanche
Gold Member

Post by mrblanche »

mickyd wrote:Is that thing street legal??? With that short wheelbase and monster motor, I can see why he's got wheelie bars on it!! Beautiful car!!
Yep, street legal. Washington state, for him. Texas for me.

There is an amazing amount of wood in a Model T, and when you build a Depot Hack, as he has, there is even more.