Newbie....but advanced question

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

buck50bmg
Gold Member

Newbie....but advanced question

Post by buck50bmg »

Hi

I was wondering what the motor data is, like frame type. I was thinking of using a 3 phase motor with a VFD drive to help eliminate the SS speed control.

Of course I have to figure out how to disable the speed control correctly.

If this has already been done, please let me know.

Thanks
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

The Shopsmith motor is in a 48 frame and is rated at 1 1/8 HP at 3500 rpm.

The use of a variable frequency controller will give you speed control, but the results at the shaft will not be the same as with the variable pitch pulley system.

When you lower your speed with the variable frequency drive, the HP decreases proportionally (constant torque). Thus at lower speeds you won't have very much power.

The variable pitch pulleys multiply torque as you reduce speed. Many of us set the speed dial down to around "O" when we have to do heavy ripping. This gives us more torque at the cutting tooth to get the job done.

I don't think you will be satisfied at all with a variable frequency control.
buck50bmg
Gold Member

Post by buck50bmg »

8iowa wrote:The Shopsmith motor is in a 48 frame and is rated at 1 1/8 HP at 3500 rpm.

The use of a variable frequency controller will give you speed control, but the results at the shaft will not be the same as with the variable pitch pulley system.

When you lower your speed with the variable frequency drive, the HP decreases proportionally (constant torque). Thus at lower speeds you won't have very much power.

The variable pitch pulleys multiply torque as you reduce speed. Many of us set the speed dial down to around "O" when we have to do heavy ripping. This gives us more torque at the cutting tooth to get the job done.

I don't think you will be satisfied at all with a variable frequency control.
So leaving the speed control in the highest setting and using the vfd wouldn't work?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

buck50bmg wrote:Hi

I was wondering what the motor data is, like frame type. I was thinking of using a 3 phase motor with a VFD drive to help eliminate the SS speed control.

Of course I have to figure out how to disable the speed control correctly.

If this has already been done, please let me know.

Thanks
If you are not aware of the soon to be made available Shopsmith Power Pro motor/headstock/conversion, You may want to check it out b4 going to all that effort!

http://www.nickengler.com/Forum/vanilla ... e=1#Item_0
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
buck50bmg
Gold Member

Post by buck50bmg »

Well if I still use the speed control, I could eliminate the need for the speed reducer or increase and have the ability to go in reverse.