Bandsaw adjustment

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

buck50bmg
Gold Member

Bandsaw adjustment

Post by buck50bmg »

Hello

I just got a bandsaw for my V. It didnt include a manual. I have one on order, but want to use it asap.

Can someone give me a rundown on what to lube with graphite, oil.
Should the roller bearings be touching the blade?
Should the blocks be touching the blade?
How the adjustment works?

Thanks for the help!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
paul269
Gold Member

Post by paul269 »

I did this yesterday to my band saw.

Use powdered graphite as saw dust will not adhere to the powder but will to oil

Lube the trunnions. The manual indicates you should also lube the blade tension screw, upper and lower guide adjustment knobs. I also waxed and buffed the table.

The blade should be centered on all three of the roller bearings and the back of the blade should be touching the auto track bearing and the lower bearing. There should be a gap of about 1/64 to the upper bearing.

The blocks should not be touching the blade. The manual indicates you should put a piece of tape on the blade for a clearance of about .003- .005. I found the tape to be a pain so I used a piece of paper. Making sure you do not bend the blade as you push the block in. adjust the block so they are at the bottom of the gullet on the blade.

Not sure what you mean with your last question, “how the adjustment works”

Turn by hand to make sure there is no binding prior to turning on the unit.

My blocks moved over time and I noticed some gouges from the blade. I sanded with my strip sander to true the surface.
tgiro
Gold Member

Post by tgiro »

You might try this URL - the PTWE for the bandsaw. It has setup and maintenance info in it.

http://www.shopsmith.com/academy/bandsaw/index.htm
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

If you are not aware of the tension adjustment, look for it above and be advised to release the tension between uses(each day).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
buck50bmg
Gold Member

Post by buck50bmg »

Thanks guys!