Cleaning pitch off Saw blades

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

markap
Gold Member

Cleaning pitch off Saw blades

Post by markap »

Got some dirty, clogged blades and bits. What do you use to clean them?
SS MV 520, bandsaw, jointer, planer, belt sander, mortise unit, biscut jointer, speed reducer, tool rest upgrade, sliding cross cut table, DC3300
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Use cheap spray oven cleaner. Just WATCH OUT for the smell.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

markap wrote:Got some dirty, clogged blades and bits. What do you use to clean them?
I worked through that issue several weeks ago. what a mess. Since then I purchased the only simple and effective solution I have managed to find. Check it out for yourself:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page ... ning%20kit fjimp:)
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

Internet says "Simple Green" concentrate is the way to go. I have no idea but that would be my first approach.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

mickyd wrote:Internet says "Simple Green" concentrate is the way to go. I have no idea but that would be my first approach.
I tried that stuff. It works to a limited degree. The fumes are enough to inhibit ones breathing and the elbow grease required could wear an old guy out. I like the idea of depositing the blade into a closed container and allowing the cleaner to break down pitch naturally. fjimp
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
recurvearcher
Gold Member

Post by recurvearcher »

I've used Automotive Bug'nTar remover with some success.
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

The Wood Whisperer demonstrated the Rockler cleaning kit (and warns against oven cleaner) in one of his videos.

http://thewoodwhisperer.com/episode-28- ... t-settles/

The actual demo starts at the 4 minute mark. The pan he is using looks exactly like the cheap pan I got at Walmart for changing the oil in my truck.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

My answer is LIQUID DISH SOAP! It works very well! For a pan I use one of those plastic containers that frozen food comes in. Really cost effective since both items are already available in the household.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
tnerb
Gold Member

Post by tnerb »

markap wrote:Got some dirty, clogged blades and bits. What do you use to clean them?

I use 90% IPA for slightly pitched blades and Acetone for the heavy stuff. Wear some vinyl or rubber gloves tho.
Brent
wgander
Gold Member

cleaning saw blades

Post by wgander »

I've been satisfied with oven cleaner. I let it sit for a few minutes and then wipe the blade with a green 3M pad. A thorough rinse with fresh water and towel dry: blade looks new.
The video says caustic stuff can weaken the bond of carbide tips but cites no facts and I don't know if there's any truth to that.