New Yankee workshop ends

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

Yes Phil I enjoy visiting Nicks website. Every time I visit there are new valuable items to view. fjimp
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

wlhayesmfs wrote:The two shows mention along with a local woodturning show and the American woodshop is all that is left here. Yes Roy is fun to watch to see what can be done with little to no tools. I love him showing the old simple tools and what a craftsman can build with them.
Just some trivia.

The American Woodshop is filmed just north of the Shopsmith factory.
Scott Phillips use to work for Shopsmith. He is in one of their catalogs.
If I find it I will scan and post it.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

Yes I do remember Scott and shopsmith. I also recall some videos he did for them but they must have had some issues as I tried to find them and they don't seem to exist anymore. We had a discussion on this on one of the other sites maybe 4 or 5 years ago but I can't recall much of what was said and who knows if it were true so I wouldn't repeat it here anyway.

Ed

cincinnati wrote:Just some trivia.

The American Woodshop is filmed just north of the Shopsmith factory.
Scott Phillips use to work for Shopsmith. He is in one of their catalogs.
If I find it I will scan and post it.
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I too will miss Norm and that show. His and the Router Workshop were my favorites. I wonder if PBS will pick up on another woodworker type show or if we are such a vanishing breed that we are no longer a market segment.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
nomoman
Gold Member

Post by nomoman »

Another good show. Roy Underhill in the woodwright's shop on PBS.
I see said the blindman, to his deaf wife, as he picked up his hammer and saw.
Shopsmith Mark V. DC3300
Jared
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

The "This Old House" programs have been picked up on the DIY cable channel. I wonder if New Yankee may find it way there also.

Again I think the economy is killing these shows. Advertising money is in short supply and sponsorship is being cut. Look what is happening in NASCAR racing. Drivers are being dropped because there is not money.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
osx-addict
Gold Member

Post by osx-addict »

I don't know if anyone else has noticed recently (perhaps over the last year), but there were a few episodes where he had some noticable (to me anyway) shaky hands -- I'm wondering if he's perhaps not as comfortable using the tools anymore? I love watching his shows -- the latest set in particular -- a multi show set covering cabinet design for kitchens in particular. Very interesting stuff to me!
Rick
S/W of Los Angeles, CA
1983 Mark V model 510 (SN#140061)
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

HHHHHMMMMM The lastest NYW had the 1 of 2 on a roll top desk.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
joedw00
Platinum Member

Norm Abram Closes Up Shop

Post by joedw00 »

To add some more just got this e-mail: http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/bl ... +Shop.aspx
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

joedw00 wrote:To add some more just got this e-mail: http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/Norm+Abram+Closes+Up+Shop.aspx
Hey thanks for the link. As I noodled around there I found my self visiting Norms website and saw an exhaustive list of his tools by category. Under one category I found the Shopsmith DC330 listed along with an apology for mislabeling it as a Delta tool. I also found the Mark V listed and pictured under several categories. Check it out. http://www.normstools.com/index.shtml

Fjimp:confused::D:eek:
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.