The Weekly ??? Blog

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

john
Platinum Member

The Weekly ??? Blog

Post by john »

I guess I'm back. I haven't done any real woodworking since last Christmas so the Weekly Blog has taken a long rest. I still have not got back into it, but have signed up for a Christmas craft show at a local high school in early December so I guess I will have to get busy.

The first step was to clean up my workbench, again. I have a habit of using a tool and then just putting it on the bench to return to it's proper place later. Later never seems to arrive so the collection just grows and grows. It was amazing how many different tools, brushes, finishes, etc I used over the summer repairing the lawn swing and doing other outdoor maintenance.

The next step was to purchase a larger jointer. I have an old 4" benchtop Craftsman that never really did a good job for me, never could get the fence square to the table. I looked into the SS one, but at $600 here in Canada for a 4" cut, I decided it was not what I wanted. Besides much of the wood I work with is wider than 4" and all the rough lumber I buy seems to have a cup that needs staightening. In the end, I purchased a 6" King model stationery unit. That is an offshore brand that is widely sold here but I'm not sure about south of the border. I haven't got it yet but did pick up the mobile stand so I could put it together in advance. As with much of the off shore products, one of the pieces has a defect so I cannot finish the assembly before returning to the store for a replacement part. Isn't that a familiar story.

The next step is to make room for it. The only place is in the furnace room and it means taking apart the stand for my bench top planer that takes up the only spare room there. I figure the planer can be set-up on on my Workmate when I want to use it. Oh yeah, I had made a nice hardwood mobile frame for that stand, that maybe I could have used for the jointer but it dosen't have locking wheels. Maybe I could have saved $70 and a minor headache.

By this time next week, I hope to be back making sawdust and my list of projects is already longer than time will permit making.

A belated welcome to all the members that have joined over the last few months. Hopefully The Blog will help motivate them to make some of their own sawdust with their ShopSmith.

Have a Safe and Fun week!

John
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

Glad to see the blog again!

My woodworking has been rather sporadic of late. I get a bunch of things done then other things come up and I'm off on them for a while. This last string of honey do's should be over by mid week so I'm looking forward to about another month of woodworking before winter closes in on me.

I've been thinking of a major revamping in my garage shop that would let me do a bit more during the winter. Haven't had that since the late 90's and it sure would make the months go by a lot faster. The trade off is that I will not get much else done this fall if I do that....

I've also started to take one of my 520 apart to do some touch up painting and pull the headstock apart to repair the drive belt that has a wear spot which I think is making it run a bit noisy... but it could be it has other problems as well. This is a used/abused one I got as a basket case so no telling what I'll uncover. If its to bad I might just wait for the new drive system to come out and if the cost isn't too bad just upgrade... no use spending money on new parts that might end up not being used if I can afford the upgrade. So many decisions on how to best spend my "fixed income".

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
osx-addict
Gold Member

Post by osx-addict »

Well.. I've not been doing much either.. I did spend some time over the weekend putting some top coat on some 1x maple boards that will be mounted on the wall in the kitchen to hold a rack in place. I tried using some Minwax spray poly that I had lying around but it really left a rough surface.. I poked around my cabinet and found a small can of General Finishes Arm-R-Seal and proceeded to put on 3-4 coats.. They came out REALLY nice and super smooth with some 400 grit between coats.. Now I just need to dig up my countersink tool and find some appropriate screws to anchor them to the 2x4 stud walls in the kitchen.
Rick
S/W of Los Angeles, CA
1983 Mark V model 510 (SN#140061)
jimthej
Gold Member

This week

Post by jimthej »

Got to finish my Blade with Arbor holder. Based on one posted here or elsewhere. Maybe both. It's really ugly, didn't have time for pretty. Not sanded or finished. Holds 4 blades w/arbors and 2 sanding disks. Also room on the 2' x 4' 1/2" ply for 6 table inserts.
The lift assist arrived yesterday, and my wife was already eyeing the box in the kitchen. So I installed it this evening. I can lift the machine without it, but it won't be many years till I need it. Works great.
Jim in Bakersfield:D
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

jimthej wrote:Got to finish my Blade with Arbor holder. Based on one posted here or elsewhere. Maybe both. It's really ugly, didn't have time for pretty. Not sanded or finished. Holds 4 blades w/arbors and 2 sanding disks. Also room on the 2' x 4' 1/2" ply for 6 table inserts.
The lift assist arrived yesterday, and my wife was already eyeing the box in the kitchen. So I installed it this evening. I can lift the machine without it, but it won't be many years till I need it. Works great.

By installing it now (while you don't need it) may very well extend the amount of time til you do need it. Every little bit helps. I wish I had put one on when they very first became available.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
perryobear
Gold Member

Post by perryobear »

Hi everyone,

My summertime woodworking consisted of building a simple entertainment center with my college bound son for his dorm room. It was a fun time working together.

A second project, replacing a small picket fence, wasn't as much fun as the gilmer belt broke on my old greenie as I was cutting the last picket. :(

So now I need to decide if I just replace the gilmer belt (about $35.00) or dive in deeper and convert the machine over to the poly-v belt drive and two bearing quill. I am leaning toward just replacing the belt, thoughts or opinions anyone? :)

Dennis
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

IF ya dive in deeper, it'll be MORE than 10 times the belt cost. You could buy lots of goodies with the difference.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

It is always good to read one of John's Blogs. Also, it's good to read what is going on with others.

As reported earlier, my summer (in woodworking) started out taking the Sketchup course offered by Tom K/mo. Many thanks to Tom for that selfless, very professional offering. For those wanting to learn Sketchup, don't bypass the opportunity look up the thread(s) right here on the Forum!

With advice from my Grandson, a sketchup was drawn and approved by him.
[ATTACH]6264[/ATTACH]

For construction ideas, as well as drawing, I used the plans of the "Convertible Coffee Table" in a fairly recent issue of Woodsmith. The basic frame was put together by the end of August.

[ATTACH]6265[/ATTACH]

Then LOML and I took a 4 week vacation ride up the old Route 66 as far as St. Louis. From there, we meandered up through the Great Plains to Yellowstone and Grand Teton Parks.

Home again brought the need to get repairs made on the motorhome, and get back to the table. The top was made up of 7 boards of quartersawn oak. Made up a mitered molding for the top of the table base, and installed the mechanical lift.

[ATTACH]6266[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]6267[/ATTACH]

Now the challenge remaining is to make drawers for the ends. The openings are only 8" deep and I had forgotten about the need for a drawer stop. Hmmm, will have to do something to keep the drawers from dropping on the floor.
Attachments
HPIM2169.jpg
HPIM2169.jpg (119.72 KiB) Viewed 2528 times
HPIM2170.jpg
HPIM2170.jpg (132.89 KiB) Viewed 2529 times
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

It is always good to read one of John's Blogs. Also, it's good to read what is going on with others.

As reported earlier, my summer (in woodworking) started out taking the Sketchup course offered by Tom K/mo. Many thanks to Tom for that selfless, very professional offering. For those wanting to learn Sketchup, don't bypass the opportunity look up the thread(s) right here on the Forum!

With advice from my Grandson, a sketchup was drawn and approved by him.

[ATTACH]6268[/ATTACH]

For construction ideas, as well as the drawing, I used the plans of the "Convertible Coffee Table" in a fairly recent issue of Woodsmith. The basic frame was put together by the end of August.

[ATTACH]6269[/ATTACH]

Then LOML and I took a 4 week vacation ride up the old Route 66 as far as St. Louis. From there, we meandered up through the Great Plains to Yellowstone and Grand Teton Parks. (Got to meet up for a very short, fun visit with lv2dwrk in SW Missouri. No, we didn't solve any world problems)

Home again (Sept 29) brought the need to get repairs made on the motorhome, and get back to the table. The top was made up of 7 boards of quartersawn oak. Made up a mitered molding for the top of the table base, and installed the mechanical lift.

[ATTACH]6270[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]6271[/ATTACH]

Now the challenge remaining is to make drawers for the ends. The openings are only 8" deep and I had forgotten about the need for a drawer stop. Hmmm, will have to do something to keep the drawers from dropping on the floor.
Attachments

[The extension bmp has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

HPIM2036.jpg
HPIM2036.jpg (134.86 KiB) Viewed 2609 times
HPIM2169.jpg
HPIM2169.jpg (119.72 KiB) Viewed 2613 times
HPIM2170.jpg
HPIM2170.jpg (132.89 KiB) Viewed 2608 times
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Pretty good looking now, bet it'll be your usual FINE job.

Hey Tom K, do you feel LEFT OUT? Like I do. :D
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob