Fence Featherboard & Model 510 Fence

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dannos
Silver Member

Rip Fence Mounted Featherboard Add

Post by dannos »

charlese wrote: Nice pix, Dan. Did the studs come with your T-Nuts, or were they yours?

Charlese,
The "T-Nuts" came with the Rip Fence Mounted Featherboard direct from Shopsmith.
When my anxious joy to install them onto the fence turned to frustration, I failed to take my time and examine closer what was causing the problem and assumed they were too wide, when in fact in my case, it was the actual attached bolt-head which appears to be affixed/pressed in there.
I used a file I had in the tool box to shave the head of the bolt down, and this cleared up the binding. One of the T-nuts was worse than the other.
Thanks for everyones assistance, this forum is great. :)

[ATTACH]167[/ATTACH]
Attachments
RipFence Add.jpg
RipFence Add.jpg (121.84 KiB) Viewed 11720 times
dusty
Platinum Member

Model 510 Fence/Model 520 Fence/T-Nuts

Post by dusty »

Is there more than one problem?

charlese: In your post on Tuesday you reported:

"My T-nuts will not fit the 510 rip fence - but will fit the bandsaw rip fence and the bandsaw table. Go figure!"

Are you having the same experience as dannos or do you have something different?
Platinum Member

Model 510 Fence/Model 520 Fence/T-Nuts

Post by dusty »

There is one more variable in this puzzle.

I just reread the thread and looked more closely at the photos. In both of the parts descriptions that charlese posted, the two outer holes are reportedly threaded to accept star nuts or small knobs.

In the photos that dannos posted, these holes do not appear to be threaded.

I just completed another pass thru my parts drawer and I discovered two more t-nuts that slightly resemble the SS parts but are slightly different shape (more rectangular) and have only one threaded hole. The other two are not (the center and one end). Therefore, I am not positive which ones are SS and which might be from another source or another time..

I also noticed the price difference but upon rereading the catalog descriptions I believe there is a quantity difference555916 Sliding T-Nuts (4)
Sliding T-Nuts hold fixtures to worktable surface or our T-Slot Track. Nuts slide into T-slot Track, or MARK V worktable, Rip Fence or accessory slots. Each features a 3/8-16 threaded center hole and two 1/4-20 threaded outer holes to accept (555906) Star Knobs or Small (555901) Knobs.
Price $9.19

This would make them about $2.29 each not $9.91.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

dustywoodworker wrote:Is there more than one problem?

charlese: In your post on Tuesday you reported:

"My T-nuts will not fit the 510 rip fence - but will fit the bandsaw rip fence and the bandsaw table. Go figure!"

Are you having the same experience as dannos or do you have something different?

Yes, since my nuts won't slide into the 510 rip fence - I don't intend to use them there anyway. If I ever buy a rip fence feather attachment - if those nuts don't fit, I'll just file the nut's wings a little.

This is probably enough to say about these little nuts! The only reason I got in here is because of dannos problem. Since mine won't fit in the rip fence, I thought there might be a larger issue. Wow! this has been a lot of words over one problem that's been fixed, and one that has not yet happened.

Thanks for your interest Dusty! I've learned to order 4 at a time, and that's a GOOD thing! But unless there is more interest - I'm done now!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

dustywoodworker wrote:The two types of t-nuts are NOT identical. The physical dimensions are the same (length, width, thickness) but the center hole on 514491 is counterbored on the under surface). The counterbore is very shallow]http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... ngnuts.htm[/url]

I have had the others (555916) for a long time (years). See the illustration in the Accessory Catalog. http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... turesC.htm

What is 555911?

A 5559111 is a t bolt. http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... turesD.htm