Fence Featherboard & Model 510 Fence

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Model 510 Fence/Model 520 Fence/T-Nuts

Post by dusty »

You seem to be zeroing in on the fence. If I have followed this thread correctly, the t-nuts are NOT the same as mine. Someone reported them to be 29/32". Just a tad larger than mine; therefore, somewhat "OVERSIZE" for my fences.

Post by charlese »

[quote="dustywoodworker"]RESUME THE EXECUTION

I put a caliper on the t-nuts and they measure .875" (7/8". The t-slot measures .905"]

Since my T nuts measure 29/32" instead of 7/8" like yours, they just won't fit on the fence! Sounds like just a couple of passes with a file will cure the problem. When I got my OPR - T nuts were not included in the package. Called SS and they shipped two T nuts right away! I assume they are new. I looks like these nuts are molded. Some how there are differences in molds.
HOPE SHOPSMITH READS THIS THREAD! This is almost reminiscent of the over-sized washers that came in the Planner/Jointer Knife Sharpening Jig!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
dannos
Silver Member

Post by dannos »

Greetings and thanks for everyones input and assistance. I'm taking my Shopsmith invoice paperwork to the office in the morning and calling them. I'll advise/post the end result/fix.

Thanks,
Dan
dannos
Silver Member

Post by dannos »

Greetings,
Spoke to "Gale" with Shopsmith customer service this morning. She is going to check on this for me, but states that the sliding T-nuts should fit the 500/510/520 models. She said they've recieved no other reports of this occurence to their office.
She's supposed to get back to me. Well see what happens!

Dan
dannos
Silver Member

Resolved!

Post by dannos »

Greetings,
After closer inspection, I observed that the "head" of the bolt on the bottom portion of the t-nut was to blame. It was worse on one t-nut than the other. I filed it down, cleaned both the fence and t-nuts and all are sliding now :D
I am still awaiting a call back response from Shopsmith. Hope this helps someone else who runs into this problem.
Dan

[ATTACH]162[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]163[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]164[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]165[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]166[/ATTACH]
Attachments
DSC_0014.jpg
DSC_0014.jpg (99.68 KiB) Viewed 19901 times
DSC_0019.jpg
DSC_0019.jpg (125.94 KiB) Viewed 19904 times
DSC_0020.jpg
DSC_0020.jpg (134.99 KiB) Viewed 19898 times
DSC_0022.jpg
DSC_0022.jpg (182.37 KiB) Viewed 19901 times
DSC_0023.jpg
DSC_0023.jpg (189.42 KiB) Viewed 19896 times
dannos
Silver Member

Post by dannos »

As a side note: Shopsmith customer support did call me back, and their "Quality Control" person is checking into these T-nuts. Very nice people up there! As stated earlier, they advised have not had any other reports/calls with this dilema.
Dan
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

There is more than one t-nut. The differences are obvious when one knows what to look for.

The ones that I have are #555916 and they do not come with the stud shown in your photos. Instead, there are three threaded holes to accept whatever you might want to install into them (knobs, setscrews, etc.)

The ones that I believe you have are #514491. I can't tell from your photos but it appears the studs are part of the t-nut. I conclude from the photos that the t-nut fit the t-slot. The protruding stud (head) was the cause of your problem. The studs may not be part of the t-nut but rather used with the t-nuts.

Once again it is shown that in order to draw accurate conclusions you must have "the facts, all the facts and just the facts". I think Sergeant Friday said that first.

Post by charlese »

You are absolutely correct, Dusty! You found two of them! Thanks for your research!
Dan - looks like your problem is solved, but mine isn't. At least I don't have anything stuck. Guess I should call Gale with my story! Nice pix, Dan. Did the studs come with your T-Nuts, or were they yours?

Here are copies from the on-line SS Repair Parts Catalog:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Item Number 555916

555916 Sliding T-Nuts (4)
Sliding T-Nuts hold fixtures to worktable surface or our T-Slot Track. Nuts slide into T-slot Track, or MARK V worktable, Rip Fence or accessory slots. Each features a 3/8-16 threaded center hole and two 1/4-20 threaded outer holes to accept (555906) Star Knobs or Small (555901) Knobs.
Price $9.19

Item Number 514491

514491 Miter Slot T-Nut
Sliding T-Nuts hold fixtures and featherboards to machine table surfaces
These special 1-7/8" x 3/4" Nuts slip into the special T-Slots on the tables and rip fences of your Shopsmith MARK V (Model 510 or 520), Bandsaw or MARK V Router Table. The two outside holes are threaded to accept standard 1/4"-20 bolts or knobs with threaded studs.

Price $3.11

Had to check out my invoice for the nuts - - I got 514491 for my OPR table. These fit the saw table, but not the 510 miter fence. I think both nuts have a 3/8" X 16 hole in the center. Mine (514491) have all three holes w/ threads.

I'm a little confused by the narratives for the T-nuts - The 555916 narrative doesn't specifically say they will fit the 510 rip fence - The 514491 narrative says those will fit both 510 and 520 rip fences. Are both nuts are supposed to be the same, but they came from different manufacturers? Or is there a difference in the 510 rip fence and others?

The 555916 TEE NUT is supposed to fit both the table and the fence. But look at the difference in cost! The SS web site says both T-nuts are available.

My T-nuts will not fit the 510 rip fence - but will fit the bandsaw rip fence and the bandsaw table. Go figure!

If I wanted these nuts to fit the 510 rip fence, a couple of passes with a mill file will make a fix.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

The two types of t-nuts are NOT identical. The physical dimensions are the same (length, width, thickness) but the center hole on 514491 is counterbored on the under surface). The counterbore is very shallow; only about 1/32" deep. Not even (IMO) deep enough to facilitate the thinkness of a flat head on a bolt.

Both part numbers are the same width, 7/8" (not 29/32").

These (514491) were purchased without the last few weeks.
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... ngnuts.htm

I have had the others (555916) for a long time (years). See the illustration in the Accessory Catalog. http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... turesC.htm

What is 555911?
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

The "T" nuts that came with my featherboard came with the studs already in place.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.