Quill play

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Quill Play

Post by dusty »

Is all of this discussion related to the spindle assembly discussed and pictured in a previous thread?

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthr ... ight=quill

Are the pictures shown here featuring the same spindle assembly that is featured in reible's series of photos.

If they are, together we have a very good depiction of the spindle assembly.
jcbrowne
Gold Member

Post by jcbrowne »

Dustywoodworker,

This discussion is about the spindle assembly (Part 518207 - #62 in the parts list and exploded view) which for all practical purposes should be the same in both Nicks and Reibles photographs. But they are not.

The difference is that Reibles photographs show an elastic pin which joins two parts to form the spindle, and Nicks photograph doesn't show this pin appearing to be one solid piece.

My spindle assembly has a pin. And this pin was loosened and had play which resulted in an increased lag.
james.miller
Gold Member

Post by james.miller »

My SS was built in 89, It's been several months since I changed the bearings so not positive about the spindle being one piece. We need someone to disassemble a two piece and photograph it with brief step by step instructions.

I had to buy a good pair of snap ring pliers to get the spindle out of the quill housing.

Jim in Tucson
dusty
Platinum Member

Tools Required but NOT Supplied

Post by dusty »

If I'm not mistaken, there is a pair of snap ring pliars laying on the workbench in one of the forum photos (from Nick).
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this, just getting settled in again I guess.

What I was hoping for was more detailed pictured then the ones I have at yahoo. The ones there were for a different discussion and I was given them... I have never had one apart to look at in person. Good close ups would be nice.

I did however do a bearing replacement on one of my old single bearing quills and while it was apart I took a picture of it that way. It has been added to the photos at:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/elv60504@sb ... 2316215999

The job was very easy... I got my arbor press out but decided to see how it would go without the special tools. Piece of cake, with the quill out of the shopsmith it took maybe 10 minutes (not including the picture taking) to swap the bearings and put it back together.

Ed
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

dustywoodworker wrote:Is all of this discussion related to the spindle assembly discussed and pictured in a previous thread?
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthr ... ight=quill
Are the pictures shown here featuring the same spindle assembly that is featured in reible's series of photos.
Dusty- the quick answer to both of these questions is N0 and NO.
(reiable's quill shows a pin - - Nick's photo shows no pin)

Meanwhile, jcbrowne sits in B.C. awaiting parts.
I'm interested in his problem as it may happen to anyone with the older quill. Remember, his first symptom was .425" of lag.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
jcbrowne
Gold Member

Post by jcbrowne »

Though I have already mounted the two bearings on the spindle I will try to dismantle it again and take some photographs to post here. I am not using it because of the vibrations I encountered once it was reassembled without play.

So while I wait for the replacement I will become photographer and mechanic. Please bear with me folks.
jcbrowne
Gold Member

Post by jcbrowne »

OK. So we can all see what we are talking about I disassembled the quill again and took some snapshots.

Quill-01 shows the quill disassembled into its main components.
Quill-02 shows the quill completely disassembled and you can see the elastic pin I am talking about and how the spline end separates from the spindle end.
Quill-03 shows a close-up of the separation and the different parts. You can see here why the spinde must be disassembled to take off the small bearing.

Hope this helps everyone to see the problem. When there is play in the pin (you can see some rust still on the insert due to condensation I imagine) this adds to any play the spindle might have on the driver/spline end. This was what produced the excessive lag I experienced.

When I changed the bearings and installed the quill in the SS I encountered a worrisome vibration I did not have before. So I took the quill out and wait for the replacement before continuing.
Attachments
Quill-01.jpg
Quill-01.jpg (35.12 KiB) Viewed 16526 times
Quill-02.jpg
Quill-02.jpg (33.64 KiB) Viewed 16522 times
Quill-03.jpg
Quill-03.jpg (32.25 KiB) Viewed 16519 times
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

J.C. Thanks for your pictures - It is obvious you took care in arranging the parts - terrific pics!!!:) :)
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

J.C. Thanks for your pictures - It is obvious you took care in arranging the parts - Very clear and informative - Terrific pics!!!:)
Chuck in Lancaster, CA