Ring master question sort of

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Ring master question sort of

Post by reible »

Hi,

For those ring master owner, how are you storing your ringmaster? So far I haven't come up with much other then a plastic tub that seems to collect what ever I don't know what to do with. I'm out of wall space to hang things so that's a bust.

Second thing is I like to remove the shield for setting the knifes and for storage. I'm getting real tired of the little screws and always having to go for a screw driver. I picked up some thumb screws but they are not making me happy either. What I would really like is a knob but I have been unable to locate one at the local hardware stores or even at my favorite on-line shopping places (#8-32). It looks like I have the room to drill them out and go with #10-24 but I'd kind of like to stay original.

Below is a picture of the present shield mount followed by a shot of the original (at least this is how I got it.... used) screw, the thumb screw and what I'm looking to find.

[ATTACH]6367[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]6368[/ATTACH]

Ideas, solutions, whatever???

Ed
Attachments
DSCF7160sc.jpg
DSCF7160sc.jpg (55.58 KiB) Viewed 8158 times
DSCF7161sc.jpg
DSCF7161sc.jpg (44.74 KiB) Viewed 8136 times
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

reible wrote:...Second thing is I like to remove the shield for setting the knifes and for storage. I'm getting real tired of the little screws and always having to go for a screw driver. I picked up some thumb screws but they are not making me happy either....

Ed
Hi Ed,

What is the issue with using the thumb screws? I am guessing that they do knot hold the shield tight without adding something like a washer on to them? And then it is difficult to grab-hold of them to turn? If that is the case, could you have someone braze a small rod (or something similar) on to the "flat" of the thumb screw for easier "grab-ability"? Or maybe that is knot the issue?
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

reible wrote:Hi,

For those ring master owner, how are you storing your ringmaster? So far I haven't come up with much other then a plastic tub that seems to collect what ever I don't know what to do with. I'm out of wall space to hang things so that's a bust.

Second thing is I like to remove the shield for setting the knifes and for storage. I'm getting real tired of the little screws and always having to go for a screw driver. I picked up some thumb screws but they are not making me happy either. What I would really like is a knob but I have been unable to locate one at the local hardware stores or even at my favorite on-line shopping places (#8-32). It looks like I have the room to drill them out and go with #10-24 but I'd kind of like to stay original.

Below is a picture of the present shield mount followed by a shot of the original (at least this is how I got it.... used) screw, the thumb screw and what I'm looking to find.

[ATTACH]6367[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]6368[/ATTACH]

Ed
Look for brass thumb 'nuts'. Like the ones on the old electric fence dry cells. They are available in different thread sizes. Either run a bolt through one to add a threaded stud, or run a short piece of threaded rod(or a cut off bolt) into the hole and bottom it out so it is held captive or locktite either the stud or the bolt through the knurled 'nut'.

These knurled 'nuts' resemble the nuts that clamp the blade loading slot in the bandsaw table and the belt loading slot on the 1" belt sander, but have smaller threads and od.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

The thumb screws have two issues, one is that they are hard to start, you have to hold the guard in place and line up the hole then start the threading in. The thumb screw is good for a part of a turn but then required you reposition to keep turning. The second issue is having to have a washer, (just like the other screws) the washers have a tendency to fall to the floor and hid under some thing or other. The other issue you mentioned of them being small and difficult to turn is another matter but a notched dowel could be used to tighten or loosen them. I think more then anything I really want a knob that will work without a washer.

Thanks,

Ed
a1gutterman wrote:Hi Ed,

What is the issue with using the thumb screws? I am guessing that they do knot hold the shield tight without adding something like a washer on to them? And then it is difficult to grab-hold of them to turn? If that is the case, could you have someone braze a small rod (or something similar) on to the "flat" of the thumb screw for easier "grab-ability"? Or maybe that is knot the issue?
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

Yes I can see what your idea is. I may even have some tucked away some where in my collection. Your idea also gave me another idea of maybe using a wire nut and some epoxy???

Got a lead to a place that stocks a lot of specialty items that is local. Hope to visit them today and see if they have what I want. I was also told to expect to PAY for them as this is not what you find in the normal hardware stores anymore. It might be worth extra to keep them around if they indeed do have a lot of this sort of item and they are close by.

Ed

JPG40504 wrote:Look for brass thumb 'nuts'. Like the ones on the old electric fence dry cells. They are available in different thread sizes. Either run a bolt through one to add a threaded stud, or run a short piece of threaded rod(or a cut off bolt) into the hole and bottom it out so it is held captive or locktite either the stud or the bolt through the knurled 'nut'.

These knurled 'nuts' resemble the nuts that clamp the blade loading slot in the bandsaw table and the belt loading slot on the 1" belt sander, but have smaller threads and od.
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

reible wrote:Hi,

Ed
I got hold of an old Mark V frame and a couple of extension table leg sets. I put the leg sets in each end of the frame and attached planks to them. On the planks I mounted stands for some of my SPT's. Between the way tubes and bench tubes, I built a box with three drawers in it for holding miscellaneous SS stuff. Lastly, I built a modified version of the under Mark V cabinet to hang from the bench tubes. It is in this cabinet that I have stored my Ringmaster, universal lathe tool rest, conical and regular sanding discs, saw blades with arbors, drum sanders and sleeves and all the various small items that go on the quill. I store my cross cut table on top of the cabinet. I made some hooks for the back to hold my table tubes and I store the table legs and duplicator parts between the way tubes. It turned out pretty nice.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

Looks we think along the same lines. I have shopsmith frame that I have several things mounted on. I have the 6" belt sander on one end, my Joint-Matic modified with mounting tubes on the other end. I have the universal tool rest on a carriage next to the belt sander, then a way tube mount block that has the old Jig saw, speed reducer. On the bench tubes I have room for my bowl turning lathe tools and some unrelated thin boxes. Below I have two of the shopsmith red cabinets filled with more shopsmith items. The location where I was going to add a third cabinet will now remain empty since they stopped selling them (it has a heater stored there now). The bad news is that I have all the parts to make it a functional 500 again so I may have rethink the whole storage thing again. Anyway that space is pretty much used up.

When I was at the hardware store I noticed some bigger plastic tool boxes which might be able to swallow the ring master as long as the shield isn't on. I actually have one those in that size full of tools that use to be in the Subaru I parted with last spring. I will take the tools out and see if it will really fit. Then will come finding a place for the tools.

Anyway if you get the time some day I'd like to see how you have your stuff arranged by way of a photo or two.

Thanks,

Ed

SDSSmith wrote:I got hold of an old Mark V frame and a couple of extension table leg sets. I put the leg sets in each end of the frame and attached planks to them. On the planks I mounted stands for some of my SPT's. Between the way tubes and bench tubes, I built a box with three drawers in it for holding miscellaneous SS stuff. Lastly, I built a modified version of the under Mark V cabinet to hang from the bench tubes. It is in this cabinet that I have stored my Ringmaster, universal lathe tool rest, conical and regular sanding discs, saw blades with arbors, drum sanders and sleeves and all the various small items that go on the quill. I store my cross cut table on top of the cabinet. I made some hooks for the back to hold my table tubes and I store the table legs and duplicator parts between the way tubes. It turned out pretty nice.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I got the three knobs that I wanted but I really did PAY for them. Unlike the more normal sized ones these cost me $2.70 ea. The good part is they were just what I was looking for and I really like how they work and feel. Since I didn't pay any where near list price for the ring master I though I would treat myself to the knobs... and maybe a tool box to store it in.

Ed
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

reible wrote:I got the three knobs that I wanted but I really did PAY for them. Unlike the more normal sized ones these cost me $2.70 ea. The good part is they were just what I was looking for and I really like how they work and feel. Since I didn't pay any where near list price for the ring master I though I would treat myself to the knobs... and maybe a tool box to store it in.

Ed
...Image
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

The knobs look a lot like the ones in other picture except they are #8-32. However a picture can't hurt.

[ATTACH]6401[/ATTACH]

Ed
Attachments
DSCF7168sc.jpg
DSCF7168sc.jpg (44.51 KiB) Viewed 8015 times