Bandsaw Question

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

flyslinger
Gold Member

Bandsaw Question

Post by flyslinger »

I just used my bandsaw for the second time (it's still new) and the rubber tire came off the bottom wheel, got it put back on and it came off again. I looked in the manual but couldn't find out what kind of glued to use to keep that from happening again.....any ideas?
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

flyslinger wrote:I just used my bandsaw for the second time (it's still new) and the rubber tire came off the bottom wheel, got it put back on and it came off again. I looked in the manual but couldn't find out what kind of glued to use to keep that from happening again.....any ideas?
When you say "new", did you buy it from SS? If so, call them and they will probably make it right. Maybe they will send you a new wheel or maybe they will send you a new tire kit or maybe they will send you glue.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
flyslinger
Gold Member

Post by flyslinger »

Yea, I'll try to see if I can get through to them on monday.... (was needing to use it this weekend) but thats what I get for waiting to the last minute to get things done.
nomoman
Gold Member

Post by nomoman »

I am tring to find a belt to fit my 1985 Universal Products 3 speed band saw. The other one snaped in two. It looked like a hollow piece of tubing. I don't know if that was the original or not. I got the saw off a lady that was getting a divorce. She said to go in the shed and take whatever I wanted.
I see said the blindman, to his deaf wife, as he picked up his hammer and saw.
Shopsmith Mark V. DC3300
Jared
billmayo
Platinum Member

Bandsaw Question

Post by billmayo »

flyslinger wrote:I just used my bandsaw for the second time (it's still new) and the rubber tire came off the bottom wheel, got it put back on and it came off again. I looked in the manual but couldn't find out what kind of glued to use to keep that from happening again.....any ideas?
The later model bandsaws I have repaired did not use any glue on either wheel. I find that any speed above 1200 RPM can pop off these tires.

I quit using the adhesive that comes with the black tire kit (555644). I could not get it to spread evenly on the wheel with it leaving small bumps under the tire. The last few sets of black tires I installed, I used the 3M 77 spray on adhesive. I installed the tire, used a large flat blade screwdriver under the tire with the screwdriver blade sticking out behind the wheel. Then with the wheel still clamped so it would not turn, I tilted and quickly slide the screwdriver around the wheel spraying the wheel and tire area just behind the screwdriver. I did install cardboard behind the wheel to protect getting adhesive inside the bandsaw cabinet. I did this quicker than I typed this. I only glue the bottom tire as the bottom wheel only has one edge/ridge to hold the tire on the wheel. The top wheels I have done has an edge/ridge on both sides of the tire and grooves. I use a 8" brass wire brush on a buffer motor to clean the old tires off the wheels.

I have collected quite a few sets of black tires as they are all I use. I find I have various thickness, different widths and different lengths of tires. Some are almost impossible to install due to their shorter length. Had to lay them in the sun on a flat piece of cast iron for a few hours this summer to get them to stretch over the wheel. All the tires were in Shopsmith plastic bags with instructions.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)