Wayward set screw

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wdelliott
Gold Member

Wayward set screw

Post by wdelliott »

I was turning some chisel handles yesterday when a set screw fell the shop floor. I have no idea where it came from and have looked all over my SS. The lathe equipment, including the tool rest, was and is solidly in place, so it must not have come from the lathe or the tool rest.

If anyone has a thought, I would welcome it. I restored a 1963 XKE Jaguar in my youth, and when finished, I had a box of screws, bolts, nuts, etc. left over. I always wondered where all of those parts went. As I would drive that wonderful car, I expected something to fall off. I thought of that experience was with me yesterday.

I just do not understand where there is a set screw and why it would have come out.
Wm. D. Elliott
Dallas, TX

1972 Model 500; upgraded to Model 7; bandsaw; belt sander; joiner; planer pro; power stand; OPR; Biscuit joiner; router tables
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

wdelliott wrote:I was turning some chisel handles yesterday when a set screw fell the shop floor. I have no idea where it came from and have looked all over my SS. The lathe equipment, including the tool rest, was and is solidly in place, so it must not have come from the lathe or the tool rest.

If anyone has a thought, I would welcome it. I restored a 1963 XKE Jaguar in my youth, and when finished, I had a box of screws, bolts, nuts, etc. left over. I always wondered where all of those parts went. As I would drive that wonderful car, I expected something to fall off. I thought of that experience was with me yesterday.

I just do not understand where there is a set screw and why it would have come out.

Maybe this will help. This is a compilation of information taken from the Shopsmith Parts Lists.

PS Sorry for the poor quality. I had trouble converting the file format and this is the best that I have gotten, so far.

[ATTACH]6487[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Shopsmith Setscrews Version 4.jpg
Shopsmith Setscrews Version 4.jpg (81.35 KiB) Viewed 5778 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Which 'end' did it 'fall' from? If the tailstock end, I would look to see if the way tube set screws are Both still there. They are not only difficult to see, but also difficult to access and tighten.

[ATTACH]6490[/ATTACH]

The pix shows a bench tube in the lower right corner and the way tubes raised into vertical position in the upper left corner.

There is a set screw holding each way tube back under the 'hinge pin'.
Attachments
BASE REASM HINGE PROBLEM.jpg
BASE REASM HINGE PROBLEM.jpg (299.39 KiB) Viewed 5768 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
greitz
Gold Member

Post by greitz »

Are you using the Universal Tool Rest? On mine, on the upper portion which holds the tool rest itself, I have an extra set screw along with the locking handle. It was there when I assembled the UTR, and I've never taken it out. It does get loose from vibration occasionally, so I just finger-tighten it and forget about it.

Gary
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

Every time a set screw or bolt falls out of a piece of equipment in my shop I find the source one day. Usually when it creates a needless bit of destruction. Always discovering it belongs to a different tool than I ever dreamed it could be related to. jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

William

Can you identify the setscrew in terms of length and type of point?

I know that you were turning but were any of the accessories mounted so that they could be the source?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.