blade guard

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

fjimp wrote:So Dusty is this her way of enforcing the topic at hand:confused:

I think the answer is probably yes, even though blade guards and riving knife were not a point of discussion. The accident to which she refers was the product of using the shaper with no feather boards (hold downs). The damage was done not by a blade but rather a piece of very fast moving oak. That was in the year 1976. I remember because she mentions it every now and then. She doesn't nag about it, she just slips it into the conversation every now and then.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

OH it was in 1976, then it does knot count anymore. That was in the PRE-Retirement years. :D
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

jonesuh,
Do knot forget to teach him about push sticks and blocks!

Dusty,
dusty wrote:...It was then that she warned, "You ever do this again, there will be NO Shopsmith where I live". I sorta think she meant it. But she can't enforce that, can she?:eek:
Well, you can knot control what she keeps where she lives...after she moves (just kidding:) )!
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
navycop
Gold Member

Post by navycop »

Back in '07 while I was working as Naval Base police. My Captian told me I was going to GITMO. He told me on a monday and said I was leaving on the following wednesday. At this time I had my bathrm all tore apart. The toliet, vanity, baseboards were gone. I was retiling it. So I was in the garage cutting new baseboard, at 0100 in the morning. When a piece of wood got stuck between the blade and the insert. I didn't have a guard on because I couldn't get the riviting knives to line up with the blade (I had mentioned this in a previous post). To make a long story short. Anyway I am half an index finger shorter on my left hand. Needless to say I didn't go to GITMO I had to go to Portsmouth Naval Hosp for rehab....
Mark V 520, Ryobi 12" mitersaw, Delta 10" tablesaw, DC 3300.
Mike
navycop
Gold Member

Post by navycop »

Back in '07 while I was working as Naval Base police. My Captian told me I was going to GITMO. He told me on a monday and said I was leaving on the following wednesday. At this time I had my bathrm all tore apart. The toliet, vanity, baseboards were gone. I was retiling it. So I was in the garage cutting new baseboard, at 0100 in the morning. When a piece of wood got stuck between the blade and the insert. I didn't have a guard on because I couldn't get the riviting knives to line up with the blade (I had mentioned this in a previous post). To make a long story short. Anyway I am half an index finger shorter on my left hand. Needless to say I didn't go to GITMO I had to go to Portsmouth Naval Hosp for rehab....
Mark V 520, Ryobi 12" mitersaw, Delta 10" tablesaw, DC 3300.
Mike
iclark
Platinum Member

Post by iclark »

a1gutterman wrote:jonesuh,
Do knot forget to teach him about push sticks and blocks!
including the part about knowing where your fingers will be if the push stick breaks or the wood kicks out from under the push block (most plastic push blocks cut through much faster than wood).

oh, and don't forget the dust mask explanation.

Ivan
Mark V (84) w/ jigsaw, belt sander, strip sander
ER10 awaiting restoration
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

iclark wrote:including the part about knowing where your fingers will be if the push stick breaks or the wood kicks out from under the push block (most plastic push blocks cut through much faster than wood).Ivan

This is a really important point. :eek:
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
flyslinger
Gold Member

Post by flyslinger »

Accidents seem to happen when "YOU THINK YOU'RE GOOD" and loose respect for the machine you are using.