blade guard

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jonesuh
Gold Member

blade guard

Post by jonesuh »

i have a model 500 & a 520---i use the 520 & have the 500 stored---my son just moved into a new home & i want to give him my 500---when i used the 500 the blade guard & the rifing knife(?) were ok-just a little hard to line up--- i want to make sure he uses the safest system available any suggestion that might make this safer for him as a new woodworker
thanks
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Make sure he understands that the blade guard and riving knife are just extras and to NEVER depend on them to make him safe.
I often repeat the story of how I really made a woodworker angry once after he claimed that he cut his thumb badly because he didn't use the blade guard. My contention was that it was not because he didn't use the guard. He cut his thumb because he stuck it into the spinning blade... His thumb should have never been in that location whether he had a guard mounted or not. Too many guys think that just because they have a guard in place that they can get sloppy and that is when the bleeding starts.
I also keep my table inserts painted bright red. If you stay out of the red zone you are usually OK.
Wait for the blade to stop... Completely... That was one of the things I was always yelling at "Norm" about (I talk to TVs). Norm often reached in too close too soon while the blade was still coasting.
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

robinson46176 wrote:That was one of the things I was always yelling at "Norm" about (I talk to TVs). Norm often reached in too close too soon while the blade was still coasting.
I always thought that was something, he would tell how important safety glasses were, then he would reach in before the blade stopped.:eek:
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
lv2wdwrk
Gold Member

Post by lv2wdwrk »

joedw00 wrote:I always thought that was something, he would tell how important safety glasses were, then he would reach in before the blade stopped.:eek:
Do as I say, not as I do!:(
Bob

Don't try to make sense out of nonsense!
navycop
Gold Member

Post by navycop »

He probally thougt: I can get a new finger, I cann't get new eyes..
Mark V 520, Ryobi 12" mitersaw, Delta 10" tablesaw, DC 3300.
Mike
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

navycop wrote:He probally thougt: I can get a new finger, I cann't get new eyes..
Last I knew he had all his fingers. Obviously he was not careless(non-prudent perhaps).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Post by curiousgeorge »

JPG40504 wrote:Last I knew he had all his fingers. Obviously he was not careless(non-prudent perhaps).
I would say he IS careless. He is just very lucky... apparently.
George
Ft. Worth, TX.
Go TCU Froggies
dusty
Platinum Member

Blade Guard

Post by dusty »

Your concern for his safety is commendable but I believe that about all you can do is stress the fact that there are many safety rules to be read and adhered to and that failure to do so might cause serious pain and agony.

Beyond that, about the only think that I believe drives the point home is a little bit of blood. Let us all pray that the lesson comes from just a "little bit of blood".

Yes, a little bit of luck may have something to do with it but I prefer not to rely on luck.

Safety procedures - those are good but they only work if you follow them religiously, I don't. Many times I find myself saying "Now you know this isn't the right way and you could get hurt doing this". I do it anyhow. I just give some extra thought to how I might bypass the proper procedure and still not get hurt. Now I know that I am the only one on this forum who can make a confession like that and that is good - but ya'll be careful anyhow.

The most hazardous thing I could do would be to call upon the little woman to take me to the emergency room AGAIN. SWMBO spoke many harsh words and threats the last time. It was then that she warned, "You ever do this again, there will be NO Shopsmith where I live". I sorta think she meant it. But she can't enforce that, can she?:eek:
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

dusty wrote:Your concern for his safety is commendable but I believe that about all you can do is stress the fact that there are many safety rules to be read and adhered to and that failure to do so might cause serious pain and agony.

Beyond that, about the only think that I believe drives the point home is a little bit of blood. Let us all pray that the lesson comes from just a "little bit of blood".

Yes, a little bit of luck may have something to do with it but I prefer not to rely on luck.

Safety procedures - those are good but they only work if you follow them religiously, I don't. Many times I find myself saying "Now you know this isn't the right way and you could get hurt doing this". I do it anyhow. I just give some extra thought to how I might bypass the proper procedure and still not get hurt. Now I know that I am the only one on this forum who can make a confession like that and that is good - but ya'll be careful anyhow.

The most hazardous thing I could do would be to call upon the little woman to take me to the emergency room AGAIN. SWMBO spoke many harsh words and threats the last time. It was then that she warned, "You ever do this again, there will be NO Shopsmith where I live". I sorta think she meant it. But she can't enforce that, can she?:eek:
So Dusty is this her way of enforcing the topic at hand:confused:
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
lv2wdwrk
Gold Member

Post by lv2wdwrk »

dusty wrote: The most hazardous thing I could do would be to call upon the little woman to take me to the emergency room AGAIN. SWMBO spoke many harsh words and threats the last time. It was then that she warned, "You ever do this again, there will be NO Shopsmith where I live". I sorta think she meant it. But she can't enforce that, can she?:eek:
If mine could not enforce it by herself, she would get the kids & kids in-law to help.:eek: :eek:
Bob

Don't try to make sense out of nonsense!