Sanding disc replacement

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

waynefingas
Bronze Member

Sanding disc replacement

Post by waynefingas »

My dad gave me a 30 year old SS in excellent shape. How do you replace the sanding discs from the metal plate? What kind of adhesive works best for attaching new sandpaper? Thanks.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

waynefingas wrote:My dad gave me a 30 year old SS in excellent shape. How do you replace the sanding discs from the metal plate? What kind of adhesive works best for attaching new sandpaper? Thanks.

The newer discs have a 'peel n stick' adhesive backed paper.

Older ones used a latex base adhesive which was not too diffcult to remove/clean up.

Really old ones used a glue stick(rubbing it against a spinning disc heated it enough to 'melt' some which stuck to the plate. The sandpaper was thus glued to the plate. A real PITA to remove/change.

If yer discs are only 30 yr old, they are probably peel & stick(I do not know when they first appeared).

Currently a velcro system is also available.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

The easiest way to remove the old paper is to heat the disk up some. It will just peal off and beready to clean up for the new PSA sandpaper.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

Little I can add here but I remember the stick that was mentioned and then a can of adhesive that you painted on the disk and paper with a brush. Those were shopsmith products and then after that they had a contact cement sort of material that I either got directly from shopsmith or maybe at the local store but I don't think that had the shopsmith logo on it.

If it has been on a really long time then the heat process may not work very well. I had a disk I cleaned for my brother this spring and the adhesive just chipped away with the use of a scraper(putty knife).

In all cases the disk should be cleaned after that with mineral spirits or similar solvent cleaner so it is really clean.

If that is the only disk you have then the velcro option is nice because it is easier to change grits but it also has some down sides if you want to do sharpening using the disk. I opted to get 3 disks for PSA disks and 1 for velcro and 1 for sharpening.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
navycop
Gold Member

Post by navycop »

Mark V 520, Ryobi 12" mitersaw, Delta 10" tablesaw, DC 3300.
Mike