Quill Question

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

flyslinger
Gold Member

Quill Question

Post by flyslinger »

How much quill play should one expect when the quill is fully extended with a ss brad point drill bit attached?
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

I believe there should be no more wobble (run out) when extended than when retracted. If there is noticeable wobble, check the chucking of the drill bit, or the straightness of the bit.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

flyslinger wrote:How much quill play should one expect when the quill is fully extended with a ss brad point drill bit attached?
Exactly what do you mean by 'play'?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
flyslinger
Gold Member

Post by flyslinger »

"Play"... in this case would be side to side, front to back, it also don't matter if there is anything is attached to the quill or not.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

flyslinger wrote:"Play"... in this case would be side to side, front to back, it also don't matter if there is anything is attached to the quill or not.
Let's change the description to 'in and out'(closer and further from the headstock) and side to side(right angle to 'in and out').

In and out can be due to the knurled collar not adjusted properly to limit the 'in and out' play. The collar should be snug with outward pressure applied to the quill shaft(not the feed handle).

Side to side is likely a bearing problem.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
flyslinger
Gold Member

Post by flyslinger »

Ya, it's the second one (right angle to) not "in and out" (that would have been to easy)...... I also was thinking a bearing.
flyslinger
Gold Member

Post by flyslinger »

I talked to Jan at SS today and she also said it sounded like a bearing and that my SS was still under warranty so I'm go to send them the headstock and bandsaw bottom wheel and all should be good in awhile.....
flyslinger
Gold Member

Post by flyslinger »

Also wanted to say thanks to you guys for all your help....( I just hit the enter key alittle to soon, the reason for yet another post)
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Are ya getting a loaner headstock while yours is being repaired?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
flyslinger
Gold Member

Post by flyslinger »

No I won't be getting a loaner cause I would have to pay for the shipping of it both ways , and having to pay for shipping ( one way) just for mine was enough.