Vibration

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bvrsbro
Gold Member

Vibration

Post by bvrsbro »

I have some vibration while turning small bottle stoppers along with slight wobble. I am running at low speed would a higher speed solve this or is it mechanical?
paul269
Gold Member

Post by paul269 »

I’m not sure without seeing the set up. But the first place I would check is the tail stock and eccentric mount. There have been times when both may become loose over time. The previous owner of my 510 tightened the eccentric mount so hard that there is an indention from the set screw. My eccentric mount loosens causing vibration on my machine because the piece is no longer true. Also lock the quill to make sure there is no in out movement. Start a process of elimination.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

bvrsbro wrote:I have some vibration while turning small bottle stoppers along with slight wobble. I am running at low speed would a higher speed solve this or is it mechanical?

Is there unacceptable vibration when you are not turning?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
bvrsbro
Gold Member

Post by bvrsbro »

paul269 wrote:I’m not sure without seeing the set up. But the first place I would check is the tail stock and eccentric mount. There have been times when both may become loose over time. The previous owner of my 510 tightened the eccentric mount so hard that there is an indention from the set screw. My eccentric mount loosens causing vibration on my machine because the piece is no longer true. Also lock the quill to make sure there is no in out movement. Start a process of elimination.
Thanks.
I've started that process I noticed when I tightened work between centers that the tubes move out about 1/16". Is there any way to tighten the tubes in the ends that the tail stock is? There are set screws on the other end.
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Hi,

This info may be helpful:
http://www.ssug.org/index.php?option=co ... mitstart=6

Also you can search this forum for Tailstock topics.
Chris
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

bvrsbro wrote:Thanks.
I've started that process I noticed when I tightened work between centers that the tubes move out about 1/16". Is there any way to tighten the tubes in the ends that the tail stock is? There are set screws on the other end.

What tubes are moving 1/16"??? If it is the Way tubes, they do have set screws, but they are neither easy to see or tighten.

[ATTACH]6549[/ATTACH]

Ignore the blue 'blob'. Bench tube lower right, way tube upper left(raised to vertical drill press position).
Attachments
BASE REASM HINGE PROBLEM copy.jpg
BASE REASM HINGE PROBLEM copy.jpg (61.39 KiB) Viewed 8189 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

bvrsbro wrote:I have some vibration while turning small bottle stoppers along with slight wobble. I am running at low speed would a higher speed solve this or is it mechanical?
Hi bvrsbro,

Sorry to sidetrack your thread, but your name has me puzzled! Wood your name be Wally (Beavers brother]this thread[/URL]?
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
bvrsbro
Gold Member

Post by bvrsbro »

The picture is great I will check that out. Thanks
I've tried uploading pictures but have had no luck in doing it. Hope there is a simple way to do this.
1985 Mark V, "2" Greenies, ShopSmith Bandsaw, jointer, belt sander. 14" Laguna bandsaw, craftsman 12" bandsaw, 12" DeWalt chopsaw,Delta 6" jointer, 12" Delta plainer, 16"-32" Performax sander, Shopsmith Jig Saw,
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Try here, if ya need more help just ask.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=114
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

bvrsbro wrote:The picture is great I will check that out. Thanks
I've tried uploading pictures but have had no luck in doing it. Hope there is a simple way to do this.
If your upload flat out fails, it is either that the file size in megabytes is too large (.bmp's, .tif's are notorious for exceeding this requirement), the image is too large in pixel size 800 wide x 600 tall max allowed (uploading a photo without first resizing it on your computer is a common cause here), or the file type isn't supported (if your image is coming out of a program in it's native file format that isn't on the supported list shown when following beegs post above, in section 2 Uploading from your PC).

Easiest file help I can relay is make sure that the file is a .jpg image not larger than 800 x 600 in size.
Mike
Sunny San Diego