Transporting a Shopsmith

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

JPG40504 wrote:For leg removal, make sure the screwdriver is a biggun! A cresent(adjustable) wrench is kinder to the nuts!

Older instructions suggest setting the extension table on one end, setting its height to match the main table. and turn it upside down and rest it on the table tops(upside down). Those instructions also show two people doing it!

The hammer is not needed unless you intend to remove the headstock.

Some pieces of cardboard to keep parts from banging into each other will be a good idea.
Hi Jerry,

You should knot be required to remove the headstock, but if you do, there is a certain technique to follow, in order to be able to put it back on the tubes without difficulty. There is a thread around here somewhere...

Red,

I am glad that you specified an adjustable Crescent wrench, as Crescent does make other wrenches too. And any manufacturer's adjustable wrench, knot just Crescent's will work!

edit: I found a thread that might be helpful-see post 4. Bill's last sentence should be kept in mind whenever removing the headstock!
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

a1gutterman wrote:Hi Jerry,

You should knot be required to remove the headstock, but if you do, there is a certain technique to follow, in order to be able to put it back on the tubes without difficulty. There is a thread around here somewhere...

Red,

I am glad that you specified an adjustable Crescent wrench, as Crescent does make other wrenches too. And any manufacturer's adjustable wrench, knot just Crescent's will work!

edit: I found a thread that might be helpful-see post 4. Bill's last sentence should be kept in mind whenever removing the headstock!
Think of other 'original' names that have become 'generic' Channel lock, Fridgidare(You may not be old enough to remember that one), xerox, Personal Computer(too long anyway), Bristol(splined screws), Reed-Prince(apparently abandoned),. . . . . . .

To me an 'adjustable wrench' so built will Always be a Crescent wrench! Notice the shape!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

JPG40504 wrote:Think of other 'original' names that have become 'generic' Channel lock, Fridgidare(You may not be old enough to remember that one), xerox, Personal Computer(too long anyway), Bristol(splined screws), Reed-Prince(apparently abandoned),. . . . . . .

To me an 'adjustable wrench' so built will Always be a Crescent wrench! Notice the shape!:D
You will have to pardon me, Red]NEVER[/B] view an adjustable wrench as only a Crescent wrench, nor a "Crescent wrench" as only an adjustable wrench. BTW, Channel Lock (the company) knot only makes "tongue-in-groove" pliers, they also make adjustable wrenches (and many other products). :D You are correct about those generic names, and you have knot named any that I am knot familiar with. BTW, you can still get screwdrivers with a Reed-Prince tip, but I have knot seen any fasteners, in a long time, that they will fit. Most people that I see using a Reed-Prince screwdriver mistakenly call it a phillips screwdriver, knot knowing the difference and wondering why the bit will knot fully seat in the fastener!
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

a1gutterman wrote:You will have to pardon me, Red ........

.......I can NEVER view an adjustable wrench as only a Crescent wrench, nor a "Crescent wrench" as only an adjustable wrench.
Demographic differences plays a role here I believe.

When I moved out west from CT, I asked for a seafood grinder and they looked at me like I had two heads. After I explained that a grinder was a sub, hoagie, whatever.....I got my meal. It was tuna fish!!! Told the girl I asked for seafood. She said tuna comes from the sea. I walked away shaking my head........good thing I like tuna. My lesson on demographics.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
bluekayak
Gold Member

Delivered Safely

Post by bluekayak »

Thanks everyone one for all your tips. I brought along a couple of toolboxes, but all I needed was one large screwdriver. Just had to take off the five small bolts on each leg assembly. Didn't even need a wrench.

Although there is quite a bit of rust on the lower bars and on a small part of the jig saw, the rest of the machine seems to be in pretty good shape. From the serial number, it apparently was built in 1955.

No problems at all getting it in the minivan, and now it is safe and sound in the basement. The stairs were a little challenging, but not too bad.

Thanks again everyone. Now to check out some of those links.

Jerry

St. Peter, MN
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

a1gutterman wrote:You will have to pardon me, Red]NEVER[/B] view an adjustable wrench as only a Crescent wrench, nor a "Crescent wrench" as only an adjustable wrench. BTW, Channel Lock (the company) knot only makes "tongue-in-groove" pliers, they also make adjustable wrenches (and many other products). :D You are correct about those generic names, and you have knot named any that I am knot familiar with. BTW, you can still get screwdrivers with a Reed-Prince tip, but I have knot seen any fasteners, in a long time, that they will fit. Most people that I see using a Reed-Prince screwdriver mistakenly call it a phillips screwdriver, knot knowing the difference and wondering why the bit will knot fully seat in the fastener!
I don't suppose you ever heard of 'Diamond Caulk"?:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG40504 wrote:I don't suppose you ever heard of 'Diamond Caulk"?:D

NO, but I have a Diamond Calk 10" Adjustable Wrench.:rolleyes:

I take it along with me whenever I transport a Shopsmith. It can be used for taking off the legs if I need to, although it is a bit large for that job.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
oldc6
Gold Member

Post by oldc6 »

bluekayak I sent you a private message........ thanks oldc6
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:NO, but I have a Diamond Calk 10" Adjustable Wrench.:rolleyes:

I take it along with me whenever I transport a Shopsmith. It can be used for taking off the legs if I need to, although it is a bit large for that job.
Yeah! I wasn't sure of the spelling!:o I believe they were the 'Originators' of the crescent wrench(they also made horse shoes(the pitching variety). At least they were the manufacturers of my first encounter with them(wrench).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝