Transporting a Shopsmith

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bluekayak
Gold Member

Transporting a Shopsmith

Post by bluekayak »

I was lucky enough to get a good deal on a "Greenie" on eBay and plan to pick it up tomorrow morning. I am hoping to take the back seats out of our Chrysler mini van and transport it inside the van. Does anyone know if it will fit?

I have no experience with a Shopsmith and have only seen demonstrations of it being used at the state fair.

Will it need to be disassembled? If so, will I need any other tools than allen wrenches, regular wrenches, and screwdrivers? Maybe some penetrating oil; there was quite a bit a rust on the bottom tubes. Should I remove the headstock? If so, any tips or links showing how that is done.

I'm about 60 miles away from it. I plan to bring some moving quilts, rope, and cardboard. Is there anything else I might need.

Thank,

Jerry
RobertTaylor
Platinum Member

Post by RobertTaylor »

with the seats out, the mini-van should work just fine. if there are two adults i would lay the shopsmith on it's side. if not you should block/tie it down as best you can. i live in ohio and bought a shopsmith in north carolina and brought it home in a toyota camry.
Bob
1954 greenie, 1963 anniversary edition now a mini,
1984 500, 1985 510, 1987 510, pro-planer, bandsaw, dust collector
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I hauled most of the 20+ that I bought in the trunk and back seat of a Lincoln Town Car. I could knock one down and have the doors and trunk lid shut in 15 minutes or less.
For my purposes I wanted to reassemble any of them from scratch since most of them were poorly assembled by the original owner anyway (not Shopsmith).
If you want to haul one apart include in your tool kit a rubber mallet (I like a dead blow hammer) and a socket to fit the cap-screws that hold the leg clamps and an extension and ratchet for it.
Also take "extra" Allen wrenches.
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
iclark
Platinum Member

Post by iclark »

I'm not sure about the height, but a 510 fit easily in the back of my Outback (rear seats folded down) once I took the legs off. that is very easy with 2 people:

take off the tables (do this whether you take the legs off or not),
slide the headstock to one end,
put the other end next to the vehicle and take off that leg (one person supports while the other one takes out the screws - large flat head slots on mine) and then set that end in the vehicle on a rug or cardboard,
slide the headstock to the end in the car and lock it,
slide that end into the vehicle most of the way,
repeat process to remove other leg.

when you get home, you can reverse the process fairly easily by yourself with one sawhorse.

with the legs on, the SS is top heavy. if you do not lay it down, be sure to secure it in the vehicle. with the legs off, it was very stable for me.

remember not to turn the speed control unless the SS is running.

congratulations,
Ivan
Mark V (84) w/ jigsaw, belt sander, strip sander
ER10 awaiting restoration
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

It's on wheels already. Tie a rope to it and pull it like a trailer. :D :D
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

heathicus wrote:It's on wheels already. Tie a rope to it and pull it like a trailer. :D :D

Not all SS have 'wheels' They were an 'extra cost option'. Mine did not get wheels until it was 40 yrs old!

Hope you realize Justofftheboaticus(Heathicus) was KIDDING! Previous advice was all good. I recommend the leg removal in any event. They remove easily and reduce the height and top heavyness.

Make sure the waytube clamp is tight. It is on the end opposite to the 'hinged end'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Hi Jerry! Your greenie will fit in the rear of your mini van nicely. I agree with Ivan's instructions (Post #4).

About laying the machine on it's side: New Mark Vs are shipped without legs attached. The instructions for installing the legs tell us to lay the machine on it's side and then put on the legs. However before laying down the machine, they instruct us to pad the ground (floor) with some of the heavy cardboard from the shipping container.

Pliers and screwdriver (flat blade) ought to be enough tools, but to be safe take a few more and that dead blow hammer recommended above.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
bluekayak
Gold Member

Post by bluekayak »

Thank you everyone for all of your tips. I have the seats out of the mini van and will get an early start in the morning. I'll let you know how it goes.

Jerry Floren
St. Peter, MN
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

charlese wrote:Hi Jerry! Your greenie will fit in the rear of your mini van nicely. I agree with Ivan's instructions (Post #4).

About laying the machine on it's side: New Mark Vs are shipped without legs attached. The instructions for installing the legs tell us to lay the machine on it's side and then put on the legs. However before laying down the machine, they instruct us to pad the ground (floor) with some of the heavy cardboard from the shipping container.

Pliers and screwdriver (flat blade) ought to be enough tools, but to be safe take a few more and that dead blow hammer recommended above.

For leg removal, make sure the screwdriver is a biggun! A cresent(adjustable) wrench is kinder to the nuts!

Older instructions suggest setting the extension table on one end, setting its height to match the main table. and turn it upside down and rest it on the table tops(upside down). Those instructions also show two people doing it!

The hammer is not needed unless you intend to remove the headstock.

Some pieces of cardboard to keep parts from banging into each other will be a good idea.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

heathicus wrote:It's on wheels already. Tie a rope to it and pull it like a trailer. :D :D
Just watch those turns!!
JPG40504 wrote:Not all SS have 'wheels' .......
What difference does that make? Just bolt on a couple 2x4 skid plates.
Mike
Sunny San Diego