Headstock/Power Station Alignment

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Lodgepole
Gold Member

Post by Lodgepole »

I recently purchased a refurbished Power Station from Shopsmith. Which, I am extremely pleased with.

But, every time I move an SPT from the Headstock to the Power Station, I have to realign the hubs. This doesn't take long. But, has anyone been able to adjust either the Headstock or the Power Station to a point where the SPT can be moved between the two without adjustment?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

Lodgepole wrote:I recently purchased a refurbished Power Station from Shopsmith. Which, I am extremely pleased with.

But, every time I move an SPT from the Headstock to the Power Station, I have to realign the hubs. This doesn't take long. But, has anyone been able to adjust either the Headstock or the Power Station to a point where the SPT can be moved between the two without adjustment?

Really need more information. Is the mis-alignment in the vertical plane or in the horizontal plane or both planes. I have made thin metal washers for the alignment between Shopsmiths. Since I never actually used a power station, I would believe some metal filing, drilling bigger holes, using shims, washers or spacers would allow interchangeability between Power Station and Shopsmith.

This could be why I have always recommended using a Shopsmith MINI as a power station besides it being cheaper and easiler to use.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Lodgepole wrote:I recently purchased a refurbished Power Station from Shopsmith. Which, I am extremely pleased with.

Yes, I have a Power Station, a Crafters Station and the Mark V. I can relocate the Bandsaw to any one of them without readjustment.

What SPT are you having trouble with?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Lodgepole
Gold Member

Post by Lodgepole »

Dusty,

Thanks for your response. I graduated from the UofA 30 years ago. I can't be that old!

All of my SPTs do not line up from the Shopsmith to the Power Station. I guess I really need to spend time adjusting the Power Station.

Unfortunately, I have a rather large project I am currently working on (house remodel). So, I probably won't be able to get to this until late February.

I'll keep you updated.

I have always appreciated your advice and insight.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

We'll be here if/when you have more questions. In the meantime, good luck with your remodel. Take your time and be safe.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Lodgepole wrote:Dusty,

Thanks for your response. I graduated from the UofA 30 years ago. I can't be that old!

All of my SPTs do not line up from the Shopsmith to the Power Station. I guess I really need to spend time adjusting the Power Station.

Unfortunately, I have a rather large project I am currently working on (house remodel). So, I probably won't be able to get to this until late February.

I'll keep you updated.

I have always appreciated your advice and insight.

I assume your alignment problems are front to rear(not vertical).

There are two possible causes(at the shopsmith).

The simplest is the end cap is mounted to the bench tubes slightly cocked. A similar cocking at the other end can affect this also. A similar offset can be caused if the leveling screw under the rear bench tube is incorrect.

Another possible cause (if we are considering the jointer) is the belt tension adjustment. It has an eccentric that shifts the intermediate(idler) shaft horizontally as well as vertically.

The power station slide has some slop which allows a slight vertical variance. It will only shift about 3/16" front to rear.

If you are really serious about 'solving' this, I recommend setting all spt's to the power station. It is not adjustable in any meaningful way.

Following that, adjust the shopsmith to them. I would suggest the procedure illustrated at http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=3807 . Start with the level way tubes thread.

Add a final step to align the shafts by shifting the end cap/tie rod simultaneously.

You need to be very comfortable with this procedure before starting it.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange