Rust Removal Part 1

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

horologist
Gold Member

Post by horologist »

JPG40504 wrote:My perception is that Evaporust is good with lightly rusted(even that which is pitted) and electrolysis is good for larger more heavily rusted items. The electrolysis is much cheaper, the 'electrolyte' is completely reusable(non consumed in the process) and very inexpensive to begin with. The electrolysis is self limiting(only alters the rust and 'stops' when there is no more). The evaporust is similarly self limiting.

Both procedures leave a slight discoloration(blox) and are quick to begin rerusting immediately.

The electrolysis create considerable 'gunk' which can safely be disposed of in just about any manner. It is one of the iron oxides and is non harmful environmentally.

The electrolysis does simultaneously produce both hydrogen and oxygen so care must be taken to provide sufficient venting of those 'products' as they can become an explosive mixture.
JPG,
I agree that electrolysis has some advantages. One reason for my experiment was to test the claim that ER doesn't harm other materials. Periodically I run into rusty clock movements and am concerned the electrolysis would hurt the brass.

You apparently also have to be careful to avoid usoing stainless steel as your anode. Rumour has it that it can release toxic chromium compounds into the solution. I believe I have forgotten more chemistry than I ever learned so I will leave this part of the discussion to those who have done better at retaining this knowledge.

I do have a rusty jointer to clean up and will try to get to part 2 of my rust removal experiments in a couple weeks.

Troy
The best equipped laundry room in the neighborhood...
horologist
Gold Member

Post by horologist »

heathicus wrote:Evapo-Rust claims to be environmentally friendly as well. And I have had great success using it on HEAVILY rusted items. Remember this drill chuck?

After soaking about 24 hours in Evapo-Rust:

But I would absolutely concur that electrolysis is better suited for larger items (due to the cost of the Evapo-Rust and having to submerge the part).
Heath,

Thanks, I had forgotten about that photo. You and Mike will have to thrash out who will win the title of Rust Removal King. I give up!:D

Troy
The best equipped laundry room in the neighborhood...
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

horologist wrote:Heath,

Thanks, I had forgotten about that photo. You and Mike will have to thrash out who will win the title of Rust Removal King. I give up!:D

Troy
Heath for Drill Chucks!

Mike for Way/bench Tubes.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

Mike's work on those tubes is truly inspirational. But, heck, so is his work on everything else!
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
foxtrapper
Gold Member

Post by foxtrapper »

horologist wrote:JPG,
I agree that electrolysis has some advantages. One reason for my experiment was to test the claim that ER doesn't harm other materials. Periodically I run into rusty clock movements and am concerned the electrolysis would hurt the brass.
It hasn't in my experience. Acid dips have though. Brass copper and solder were all unaffected by the electrolysis.

Stainless in the anode will not come off during rust removal. It can if you reverse the electrical connections, such as what you will often times do to clean the anode (when it's crudy, the system doesn't work as well). The release of hexavalent chrome into the solution is minute and does not pose a threat while in the water. It's when it is bubbled up in the foam and released to the air that it creates a danger. You mitigate the danger with air flow over the container and away from your face.
rdubbs
Gold Member

Post by rdubbs »

heathicus wrote:
But I would absolutely concur that electrolysis is better suited for larger items (due to the cost of the Evapo-Rust and having to submerge the part).
I've never used electrolysis, but I did use Evapo-Rust to remove rust I stupidly let build up on the tables of my Shopsmith jointer. I borrowed a long shallow tray from school (I teach middle school math/science), and placed the jointer top down in the solution. a day later I was amazed at the transformation. I've kept the jointer in good shape ever since. Evapo-Rust works wonders!
Rick Dubbs
2004 520 w/bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC 3300, Universal Lathe Tool Rest, Talon chuck, & Lathe Duplicator