Headstock vibration past speed "S"

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chuckk2333
Silver Member

Headstock vibration past speed "S"

Post by chuckk2333 »

All,

I've got my Shopsmith 510 in a vertical position to do shaping/routing operations. When the speed is cranked up past "S", I hear a loud vibration noise that sounds like something metallic is loose in the headstock. Also, the speed dial doesn't hold its position and begins to move to the higher speeds.

This is my first Shopsmith and my first time to perform the shaping/routing operations. It is a used unit so it may need some maintenance.

Can anyone assist?

Thanks.

Chuck
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Hi & Welcome,

Is this a used model 510? Depending on its age there could be simple or more involved issues. For instance, some bad bearings. You might need to do a partial disassembly and inspection and try the sheaves-oiling first. Also check for the high-speed alignment stop.

You can search this forum for past complaints of a similar nature, and some videos which show headstock parts explained. I didn't cite those here but others often are very quick at pointing you to the correct videos.

Also, the maintenance links in this site are good for basic stuff:
http://www.songofthegreatlakes.com/shopsmith.htm

Good luck,
Chris