Just inherited an ancient Mark V

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

thunderbird
Bronze Member

Just inherited an ancient Mark V

Post by thunderbird »

Hi, thought I'd introduce myself. I just inherited a very old ShopSmith, SS#314189. I'm told it was built in 1955 (way before my time!) As far as I know, my grandfather bought the machine brand new. He died 30 years ago when I was 4. I had heard stories from my uncle (who helped raise me) that Grandpa had been a pretty good woodworker, and I still have a toychest shaped like a steamboat from Grandpa to prove it.

I went 'pro' about 5 years ago and opened a small cabinet shop. The machines are mostly European, and when my uncle heard what I spent on the big Mini Max, he about fell over. After regaining his composure, he made a comment that Grandpa had a 'combination' machine too, built in America, but it had been lost decades ago. My uncle was about the least mechanically inclined person I know, so I didn't push him for any details.

Anyway, my uncle died suddenly in Indianapolis about a month ago. He was a long-haul truck driver and had a massive heart attack at a truckstop there. I'm his only heir, so it was up to me to deal with the estate. He had a cabin in the mountains west of Prescott, AZ, but he hadn't visited it in 15 years. I live in Tucson, so I went up there last week to check it out.

Turns out that squatters had been living on the property, and had either stolen or trashed anything of value. No kidding, the trash in the house was 5 feet deep in some places. My crew and I cleared the house, then moved to the garage. I was working on removing one of the many abandoned vehicles on the property when one of my guys said, "Hey, come look at this!"

Burried under a pile of trash and plywood, they had uncovered the corner of a ShopSmith. We carefully removed all the debris, and sure enough, there was the machine, my Grandpa's name still visible where he'd written it on the blade. Right next to the machine was his workbench, vise and sharpening jig still attached. I was floored.

We brought the machine back to Tucson, and I completely disassembled it last night. Ordered new bearings, speed control handle, and a new gilmer belt this morning. Everything else looks good. The dry climate of Az has it's advantages!

I've really no use for this machine, but I feel compelled to make it work again. Somehow I think both Grandpa and my uncle would be proud.

Didn't take any pics when I got it back, but I'll take a few of the headstock before I clean it up. Man, is that thing dirty!

Jon
paul269
Gold Member

Post by paul269 »

Welcome to the site, hope you get it running. I am interested in seeing photos of the process. I often think of my ancestors when I use tools I inherited. In my opinion that is the real value of the piece. A connection to the past is created and it honors their memory.
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

Welcome thunderbird. Great find!!! Great first post also. It was very interesting. There are a few Tucson guys on this forum. One of them, dusty, might be interested in your greenie. I am sure he'll post here soon.

Congrats on your find and your interest to treat this unit like it should be treated vs. just getting rid of it. We are glad you took the initiative.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
judaspre1982
Platinum Member

Post by judaspre1982 »

=========================
Last edited by judaspre1982 on Sun May 14, 2017 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

Thanks for the great story!
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
thunderbird
Bronze Member

Post by thunderbird »

Thanks for the welcome, guys. I am definitely a tool collector, so this little machine will likely be with me for years to come, whether I need it or not.

Since I was able to recover the blade on the machine with my grandfather's name still clearly written on it, I figure I'll do at least one project on the SS; a shadowbox with the blade and a short description of it's history inside. It should be an interesting exercise, as I've grown used to much more powerful machinery.

As I've had time to reflect on the utility of such a machine to me, I realize it may find a happy home in my production shop as a horizontal drill press, for those occasions that I need to drill the endgrain of a long leg or post. I'll post some pics of the machine tonight. It isn't pretty...
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

Don't forget to add your greenie to this poll
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=3518
Mike
Sunny San Diego
thunderbird
Bronze Member

Post by thunderbird »

mickyd wrote:Don't forget to add your greenie to this poll
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=3518
Done. And (hopefully) added the machine to my 'sig' as well.

Jon
Jon
Tucson, Az
-Mark 5 "Greenie" SN 314189, Born late 1955, Aquired Nov 2009. Believe that my grandfather was the original purchaser. Machine sat unused from ~1979 'till Nov 2009.