500 to 510 upgrade floating table tube problem

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

allwinkie
Bronze Member

Post by allwinkie »

I purchased a mark V 500 about 6 months ago from craigs list , then I purchased a 500 to 510 upgrade about a month ago ( love the floating tables )

I recently attached the small extension tubes to the main table and they would not align, one of the tube holders seemed to be off.

I then tried to correct the problem by loosening up the mount nuts and discovered that I can not remove one of the nuts without removing the table tilt mechanism.

I first removed the table tilt mechanism, then loosened the nut and removed the washer (hoping to get enough clearance to tighten up the mount screw and readjust) after I shifted the tilt mechanism as far as I could - it is still 1/16 inch short in clearance. Is there some adapter or should I start shaving the nut ?

I attached a picture that illustrates my frustration - 1/16 inch and it would work

--- Update ---

after I completely removed the tube and realized 2 of the three studs where bent in opposing directions, after I tried to straighten one - it snapped off at the tube - so I just ordered another one
Attachments
PCDV0135-shrunk.jpg
PCDV0135-shrunk.jpg (184.3 KiB) Viewed 4456 times
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I just saw your update - if I read this right you have two different repair actions going.

1) The broken stud which I believe is in the extension table - correct me if I am wrong.

If you actually have studs - recommend that you consider replacing them with either threaded rod or with bolts and the cut off the heads.

I think this thread has a lot of discussion that is relative to your alignment problem.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthr ... ight=studs

and

2) The interference fit between the trunnion and a rail mounting bolt/nut.

Check out this thread to see if this is your interference issue. If it is, I did some filing on the trunnion to give me room to adjust the nut. Check post #13 for a picture of the suspect bolt/nut.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthr ... #post17508
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
tnerb
Gold Member

Post by tnerb »

allwinkie wrote:I purchased a mark V 500 about 6 months ago from craigs list , then I purchased a 500 to 510 upgrade about a month ago ( love the floating tables )

I recently attached the small extension tubes to the main table and they would not align, one of the tube holders seemed to be off.

I then tried to correct the problem by loosening up the mount nuts and discovered that I can not remove one of the nuts without removing the table tilt mechanism.

I first removed the table tilt mechanism, then loosened the nut and removed the washer (hoping to get enough clearance to tighten up the mount screw and readjust) after I shifted the tilt mechanism as far as I could - it is still 1/16 inch short in clearance. Is there some adapter or should I start shaving the nut ?

I attached a picture that illustrates my frustration - 1/16 inch and it would work

--- Update ---

after I completely removed the tube and realized 2 of the three studs where bent in opposing directions, after I tried to straighten one - it snapped off at the tube - so I just ordered another one

I used an open end wrench on mine.

Brent
allwinkie
Bronze Member

I may still have some filing in my future

Post by allwinkie »

I ordered the replacement pipe with studs and will see if i have enough room to clear the trunion. When the table tilt mechanism was last installed the mechanism was aligned with one of the flat faced of the nut - making movement impossible ; even with an open faced wrench
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Crucial Question: What size are the tube clamping 'knobs'? Are they about 1" diameter with teeth like outer surface about 1/4" thick, or, are they about 9/16" in diameter with a finely knurled outer surface and a hole to enable tightening using the 5/32" SS 'tool kit' as a lever.

Secondary question: are all the clamping knobs alike?

Helpful question: (Input from owners of later model 510/520 tables) what does a later model table look like in this area(center 'stud'/nut on the rear tube)? It would be an interference fit on earlier 510 tables(I do not know what a 505 table looks like here).
It looks to me like that is what he is encountering.

The earlier tubes were attached with bolts which went into threaded holes in the table and did not require nuts, therefore minimal clearance to the trunion was needed.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange