Greetings and question

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

riffplayer wrote:I have put two hose clamps onto the control sheave. Looks like it will work - at least there seems plenty of clearance so they won't contact the speed control. I'll have to wait until I can get the motor hooked up to see if there is any wobble.

!
I would only worry about the vibration. If the vibration is not bad and you oil the control sheave every month or two, you may never have a problem with the control sheave. I use red LocTite when installing the control sheave bearing and use a more precision shielded one vs a sealed bearing. I find the red LocTite works good for very small stress cracks when I use it.

I normally discard any control sheave that shows stress cracks. I have not had any success using JB Weld or similar materials where there is vibration and/or pressure on the part being fixed. I would be interested if anyone has had any sucess with a product that does not require welding or brazing which I now use.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)