Speed Control Parts

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rrussell
Bronze Member

Speed Control Parts

Post by rrussell »

I just got around to replacing the speed quadrant with a new one that I purchase several months ago, but just now installed it. It appeared to be the same as the old one, but once installed, the worm gear could not turn it except with extreme force. Has anyone else run into this problem? Customer service says that all these parts are on back order now. I tried filing the teeth of the quadrant with a small triangular file to ease things but it didn't seem to help at all.
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

rrussell wrote:I just got around to replacing the speed quadrant with a new one that I purchase several months ago, but just now installed it. It appeared to be the same as the old one, but once installed, the worm gear could not turn it except with extreme force. Has anyone else run into this problem? Customer service says that all these parts are on back order now. I tried filing the teeth of the quadrant with a small triangular file to ease things but it didn't seem to help at all.
I see this problem quite often. Many times, one or both of the speed control bracket legs gets bent to cause this problem. Manufacturing tolerances can lead to this problem as well when replacing just one of the 4 sheaves. I have enough quadrants and speed control assemblies to do a mix and match. I apply the same mix and match idea to the control/idler sheaves and the fan/floating sheaves. Contact me off-line for help and assistance. Thanks.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)