Oiling the Jig Saw?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

bluekayak wrote:Thanks JPG for the tip on gasket material, and especially for telling me to check the oil. It was in bad shape, and this was the "new" one. I have not yet opened up the jig saw that came with the older "Greenie." Maybe I'll just drain its oil out of the screw cap.

Jerry Floren
St. Peter, MN

And just WHAT makes you think there will be ANY in it????;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
bluekayak
Gold Member

Post by bluekayak »

bettyt44720 wrote:not to hijack this thread, but i believe the bolt showing just above the date/time stamp in the first pic is your "mystery" part in the other post.
Thanks Bettyt. I remember now. I had taken the arm off the jig saw to polish the table. That's when it must have fallen out.

Jerry Floren
St. Peter, MN
bluekayak
Gold Member

Post by bluekayak »

[quote="JPG40504"]And just WHAT makes you think there will be ANY in it????]

You are right again. I took out the screw cap, tipped the jig saw over on its side, and nothing came out.

I'm off to get some oil and gasket material.

Jerry Floren
St. Peter, MN
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

FWIW It is easier to add the oil if you turn the open side of the crankcase up, pour about 3-4 oz in before putting the gasket and cover back on. If you do not want to have to add oil later, put more in and after putting the gasket and cover back on, turn it upright and remove to screw plug and allow the excess to run out. Messy but quick!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
billmayo
Platinum Member

Jig Saw Table Insert

Post by billmayo »

Does anyone have a source and part number for a replacement for the Jig Saw Table insert? Thanks.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
anmius
Gold Member

Post by anmius »

Although I don't have a source, I do have the part number of the table insert: 5022549;)
billmayo
Platinum Member

Jig Saw Table Insert

Post by billmayo »

[quote="anmius"]Although I don't have a source, I do have the part number of the table insert: 5022549]

Thanks. Neither the part number 502254 or 5022549 are available from Shopsmith. It is a round 3" table insert but I have been unable to find a replacement yet. My mini lathe will not accept a 3" round semi-rigid, plastic or solid aluminum tube to machine or make any of these inserts. 2 1/2" round inserts are the biggest I can find.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

billmayo wrote:Does anyone have a source and part number for a replacement for the Jig Saw Table insert? Thanks.
I believe that the California Sawdustman makes them and seems to me that I saw a source for a plastic one (maybe over at the yahoo site a while ago....like a few years).

Here is a link to Jeff at CA Sawdustman:
http://www.califsawdustman.com/customparts.htm

I have also made them out of 1/4" ply.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
greitz
Gold Member

Post by greitz »

Bill- Are you looking for a source of 3" diameter bar stock? Small Parts Inc. (http://www.smallparts.com) has several types of plastic and metal bar stock in 3" diameter. Or could you turn a 3" diameter cylinder from lignum vitae or some other very hard wood, then cut it into slices of the desired thickness with a bandsaw?

Gary
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Subject of table inserts. I just did one for my saw and it might interest you to check it out, see post:
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=4686

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]