Oiling the Jig Saw?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bluekayak
Gold Member

Bad Oil Leak

Post by bluekayak »

I cleaned off the gasket area with 400 grit wet or dry using a pane of glass for a backer. Then cut a new, cork gasket using the old one as a template. Used a pin to make sure the breather hole was open and also was careful not to cover the tube to the breather hole with gasket material.

I am not having a leak by the gasket, but the circled part is spewing drops of oil. It left a spray pattern about six feet long.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to correct this?

Thanks,

Jerry Floren
St. Peter, MN
bluekayak
Gold Member

Some More Pictures

Post by bluekayak »

I used 400 grit wet or dry sandpaper backed by a pane of glass to clean up the pieces.

I cut a cork gasket and used 3 ounces of air compressor oil.

I made sure the breather hole was clear, and that gasket material did not cover the tube leading to the breather hole

Jerry Floren
St. Peter, MN
bluekayak
Gold Member

A couple of more pics

Post by bluekayak »

I removed the four screws at the top of the jig saw so the cylinder could be oiled.

Then I put a few drops of 3 in 1 oil on the cylinder.

If I missed something, please let me know.

Jerry Floren
St. Peter, MN
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

The oil level should be below the shaft. Does it leak when the jigsaw is not running?
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

bluekayak wrote:I am not having a leak by the gasket, but the circled part is spewing drops of oil. It left a spray pattern about six feet long.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to correct this?

Thanks,

Jerry Floren
St. Peter, MN
There is an thin oil seal around the drive shaft just inside of the bearing. Normally, I find too much oil in the housing (3 oz. is needed) or the breather hole is stopped up that causes this problem. I have a few of these seals. I will get the part number and where I purchased them and post it tomorrow.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
bluekayak
Gold Member

Got My Second Jig Saw Working

Post by bluekayak »

SDSSmith wrote:The oil level should be below the shaft. Does it leak when the jigsaw is not running?
Thanks Rob. It does not seem to be. However, now it is sitting on its shelf bracket, and the shaft where it was leaking from is tipped up. I was careful to only add three ounces of oil. I even bought a special measuring cup.

I had a second jig saw and just finished following the same procedure to lubricate it. That one works fine. The working one came from my 1955 Greenie. The one that is leaking is from 1980 Gray.

Thanks Bill for the information on the shaft seals.

Jerry Floren
St. Peter, MN
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

After putting the 3 oz in ad reattaching the cover, did you back out the 'fill' plug? Me thinks there is too much in it. It should be filled up to the holeplug only, not more.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange