Kickback Incident

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

heathicus
Platinum Member

Kickback Incident

Post by heathicus »

I had an incident yesterday that really scared me. I was ripping some boards on my Craftsman table saw for the "cowboy cooler" I'm building for a Christmas present. I thought I was being safe. I had the guard in place, I was using push sticks, wasn't standing in line with the blade, etc. But then I made a careless mistake.

After ripping one board, I had a small remainder/scrap piece on the left side of the blade. I used my push stick to try to try to move the scrap out of the way. But I left the saw on. I thought that using the push block was "safe." But the saw blade grabbed either the scrap piece or my push stick. Either way, the push stick was slammed back into my hand. The push stick and/or the scrap "exploded" sending pieces flying. The shattering pieces broke the blade guard into several pieces. I shut the saw off as fast as I could, then turned my attention to my hand.

My hand hurt so bad I was afraid to look at it at first. It didn't look as bad as it felt, but I had a pretty nasty cut on the palm of my hand. I went inside and cleaned it up thanking God that it wasn't that bad. It was hard to get it to stop bleeding and I didn't have any adequate bandages, so I had to tape a folded up paper towel to my hand with some masking tape.

I did go back out and finish what I was working on, but I was a bit nervous using the saw again. And now, before I move any scrap pieces, I turn the saw off and wait for it to finish turning before I move it - and stand aside until then.

I took a picture of the injuries to my hand and the blade guard.

My Hand

Blade guard
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

Nasty cut Heath. Your very fortunate. Chalk it up as a good safety lesson. Hands heal. Eyes don't.

Do you recall if you were pushing the scrap piece through or pulling it back toward you?

p.s. You had your wedding ring on too. Isn't that a woodworing no-no??
Mike
Sunny San Diego
dusty
Platinum Member

Kickback Incident

Post by dusty »

Yes, nasty looking injury. However, it doesn't look like a blade caused it. Actually, it looks like a bad blood blister that has broken open. If it is what it looks like to me (in this photo), it could have been done by the push block getting slammed back into your hand.

I'll bet it gets sorer (hmmm, more sore) before it gets better.

If you don't want your broken up and wasted upper saw guard, let me know. Why, because I need the splitter to be used when I don't want the guard mounted. I'd cut it off and use it without the guard or the kick back pawls.

But, what I suggest is that you call Shopsmith to order replacement parts (516338, Upper Guard and Insert- $23.19). Cheap price to recover from a kick back injury.

I am so thankful that your injury was no more serious. You are not out of the woods yet though. Keep it clean and guard against infection.

I am scared to death of infection. I fought a serious battle against infection a few years ago and nearly lost. It wasn't an injury but rather surgery but any time the outer layer is laid open like this - you are susceptible. Take care.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
colday
Gold Member

Post by colday »

Brings back memories...

About 3 years ago I needed to cut 8 2"x2" blocks of 3/4" oak for a project. This was before my Shopsmith & before I started to actually READ about woodworking.

So on my old Ryobi table saw I set the rip fence 2" from the blade & (yah, you know what I did next) placed a long 2" board in front of the miter gauge & proceeded to quickly make 2" square blocks. Now I did realize they would kick back, but I just stood out of the way. This would be safe, no?

Well number 7 did not just kick back, it rode the blade up then flew out, first hitting my right thumb then deflecting off that and hitting my chest on the right side with such force it literally cut my flesh through the work shirt. I was wearing mechanic's gloves & my thumb hurt real bad! But I didn't think it was damaged.

In the end I just about lost the fingernail on my thumb, the flesh was just mangled! My chest had a real nice clean cut in it & the black & blue spot looked like I got kicked by a horse.

I have a WHOLE LOT more respect for the shop tools now! :o
Steve
2004 50ᵗʰ Anniversary Mark V 520
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

Heath...was the first thing you said "I'm good!"?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkgZFI4ZT0I
Mike
Sunny San Diego
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Yep! That was not good! Glad you're not hurt worse! Have you had a tetanus shot recently? If not, should consider one. Sometimes lessons come hard.

Thanks for sharing! It may help prevent another similar thing to others.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
cocacola1012
Gold Member

Post by cocacola1012 »

colday wrote:Brings back memories...About 3 years ago I needed to cut 8 2"x2" blocks of 3/4" oak for a project. This was before my Shopsmith & before I started to actually READ about woodworking. So on my old Ryobi table saw I set the rip fence 2" from the blade & (yah, you know what I did next) placed a long 2" board in front of the miter gauge & proceeded to quickly make 2" square blocks. Now I did realize they would kick back, but I just stood out of the way. This would be safe, no? Well number 7 did not just kick back, it rode the blade up then flew out, first hitting my right thumb then deflecting off that and hitting my chest on the right side with such force it literally cut my flesh through the work shirt. I was wearing mechanic's gloves & my thumb hurt real bad! But I didn't think it was damaged. In the end I just about lost the fingernail on my thumb, the flesh was just mangled! My chest had a real nice clean cut in it & the black & blue spot looked like I got kicked by a horse.

I have a WHOLE LOT more respect for the shop tools now! :o
Since I am a novice-How should this operation have been done?
RobertTaylor
Platinum Member

Post by RobertTaylor »

you never use the miter gage and fence at the same time. this would be an accident waiting to happen. he should have clamped a scrap block to the fence near the front of the saw. the piece in the miter gage should be clear of (not touching) the scrap piece on the fence before it makes contact with the blade.
Bob
1954 greenie, 1963 anniversary edition now a mini,
1984 500, 1985 510, 1987 510, pro-planer, bandsaw, dust collector
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

Dusty, this was on my Craftsman table saw, not on the Shopsmith. On this model Craftsman, I can remove the blade guard from the splitter, so that's how I've been using it today. The splitter still has the anti-kickback prawls on it.

MickyD, I was pushing the scrap through, not pulling it back.

Although not a terribly nasty injury, I'm thinking about printing out the picture and hanging it up in the shop as a reminder.
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

heathicus wrote:Dusty, this was on my Craftsman table saw, not on the Shopsmith. On this model Craftsman, I can remove the blade guard from the splitter, so that's how I've been using it today. The splitter still has the anti-kickback prawls on it.

MickyD, I was pushing the scrap through, not pulling it back.

Although not a terribly nasty injury, I'm thinking about printing out the picture and hanging it up in the shop as a reminder.

I'm just elated to hear that your injuries are not major. It does look as though it will pain you just enough to become a constant reminder. I really doubt that you'll NEED to hang the picture.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.