Screw extractor - Pilot hole size and which size extractor to use

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mickyd
Platinum Member

Screw extractor - Pilot hole size and which size extractor to use

Post by mickyd »

I am having trouble locating on-line info on proper screw extractor procedure regarding what size pilot hole to drill and which size extractor to use on given size fasteners. I have #8 and #10 broken screws to remove. I can't locate the instruction that came with my extractor set. The style I have is like this and I have sizes 1 thru 5.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

For a #1 the hole size is 5/64.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
johnmccrossen
Gold Member

Post by johnmccrossen »

Scroll down the catalogue page to see the drill sizes for your extractors.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/vi ... tPage=2983
John McCrossen
Everett, Wa.
1954 Mk 5 SN 269454, 1955 Mk 5 SN 316013, 1960 Mk 5 SN 360792, 1962 Mk 5 SN 380102, Magna band saw, (2) jointers, (1) belt sander, (1) air compressor, (1) jig saw, (1) strip sander, (1) 20" scroll saw, DC 3300 dust collector, Sawsmith RAS, Craftsman table saw, 13" DeWalt planer, Triton 3 1/4 HP plunge router & table
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

beeg wrote:For a #1 the hole size is 5/64.
johnmccrossen wrote:Scroll down the catalogue page to see the drill sizes for your extractors.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/viewCatalogPDF.shtml?browserCompatable=true&adobeCompatable=true&toolbar=true&CatPage=2983
I hope I am not making a mountain out of a mole hill here but you guys sure these numbers apply to spiral fluted style similar to the ones I have...(long gradual spiral vs. the steep one shown on the catalog page?)

Where you from John....catalogue?:D
Mike
Sunny San Diego
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

That size is what mine says to use.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

:DJohn is from the olde school! Its a generational thingie. Like miter and mitre...

As far as the bit size is concerned. it needs to be big enough for the extracter to get a good bite, but not so big as to get into the hole threads.

WHY is a Bolt Expert asking this question? Maybe yours do not break or corrode? Yeah right!

The olde timey way was to drill it out and chase what is left with a tap. It still works, but does require accurate drill bit positioning!:eek:

If you have an acetylene cutting torch, there is a much quicker way!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

JPG40504 wrote::DJohn is from the olde school! Its a generational thingie. Like miter and mitre...
WHY is a Bolt Expert asking this question? Maybe yours do not break or corrode? Yeah right!

Does the dental hygienist do the extractions? Does the structural design engineer set the charges for demolition? Is the tightrope walker versed in disassembly of the rigging and high wire platform?

Need I go on??:cool:
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:Does the dental hygienist do the extractions? Does the structural design engineer set the charges for demolition? Is the tightrope walker versed in disassembly of the rigging and high wire platform?

Need I go on??:cool:
If I were a tight wire walker, I would be very involved in all aspects of my 'rigging'! Point made re other 'professions'. FWIW the demolition guru better have an expert knowledge of structural engineering if implosion is involved!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
johnmccrossen
Gold Member

Post by johnmccrossen »

mickyd, It seems my fingers forgot to stop after the "g" in catalog. Anyway, your reference link "here" shows a Westward #1, part number 2RUL8. If you scroll over to the "Bosch" column and check the specs on those, they are listed as "Vermont-American" brand. Maybe these are more like what you are referring to.
John McCrossen
Everett, Wa.
1954 Mk 5 SN 269454, 1955 Mk 5 SN 316013, 1960 Mk 5 SN 360792, 1962 Mk 5 SN 380102, Magna band saw, (2) jointers, (1) belt sander, (1) air compressor, (1) jig saw, (1) strip sander, (1) 20" scroll saw, DC 3300 dust collector, Sawsmith RAS, Craftsman table saw, 13" DeWalt planer, Triton 3 1/4 HP plunge router & table
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

I sure wish they provided a maximum recommended torque to safely apply to those extractors. On my #8 (.164") screws, I used the #2 extractor with a 7/64" (.109") pre-drill. #2 extractor covers a screw range of 5/32" - 7/32" (.156" - .219") (screw sizes #8 [.164"] thru #12 [.216"]).

The broken fasteners wouldn't budge and I was hesitant to snap the extractor. Then I'd need to get a screw extractor extractor!!!:p I timidly applied heat with a propane torch but that didn't help.

Any suggestions?
Mike
Sunny San Diego