Control Sheve Assembly

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

andyg
Bronze Member

Control Sheve Assembly

Post by andyg »

I have a 510R the bearing in the end of control sheve that has the pin that rides on the quadrent assembly is bad, can you just buy the bearing or do I have to buy the hole sheve
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

andyg wrote:I have a 510R the bearing in the end of control sheve that has the pin that rides on the quadrent assembly is bad, can you just buy the bearing or do I have to buy the hole sheve
Unfortunately the whole thing!:( Unless you can find a way to remove the old bearing, separate the center pin/loop holder, secure pin into a new bearing, secure the new bearing back onto the sheave. Not likely, but possible.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Control Sheave Assembly

Post by dusty »

andyg wrote:I have a 510R the bearing in the end of control sheve that has the pin that rides on the quadrent assembly is bad, can you just buy the bearing or do I have to buy the hole sheve

The following is a related thread but notice there is no discussion about replacing that bearing. There is, however, repeated mention of getting it lubricated.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthr ... rol+sheave

I think you might be stuck for an entire assembly.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

andyg wrote:I have a 510R the bearing in the end of control sheave that has the pin that rides on the quadrant assembly is bad, can you just buy the bearing or do I have to buy the hole sheave
You are better off buying a new Control Sheave (515556) from Shopsmith if they are available and not on back order. I have had some success replacing the Control Sheave bearing in the 1 1/8HP headstocks. I have the bearings, knowledge and tools for this type of work. I have used Control Sheaves available or can try to replace your bearing if no Control Sheave is available from Shopsmith. Contact me off-line if interested.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)