Lead on a Mark V in Va

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

D0 was read
20 was the device address
009c was open storage not used by control program
50 was length.

You then did a branch on condition (completion) back to the beginning of your 'do' loop. Easy way to exercise something like a card reader so the techs could see feed problems.

Or you could do a test on condition and then another control command to print from 009c so you print what you read.

Followed by another branch on condition back to the beginning.

Non machine language programers only had to say read card and print card they didn't have to test for completion codes, issue waits or subroutines for error conditions.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
jimthej
Gold Member

Post by jimthej »

Ed in Tampa wrote:D0 was read
50 was length.

You then did a branch on condition (completion) back to the beginning of your 'do' loop. Easy way to exercise something like a card reader so the techs could see feed problems.

Or you could do a test on condition and then another control command to print from 009c so you print what you read.

Non machine language programers only had to say read card and print card they didn't have to test for completion codes, issue waits or subroutines for error conditions.
Now I remember why I got my only E in college. Took a class in Fortran with card readers. This is worse.
(@BYU they use A,B,C,D,E not F.)
Jim in Bakersfield:D
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jimthej wrote:Now I remember why I got my only E in college. Took a class in Fortran with card readers. This is worse.
(@BYU they use A,B,C,D,E not F.)
Ahh! but more concise. The only way to get 'lower' is to work in binary rather then hex. They are actually the same thing. Think of hex as shorthand.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Ed in Tampa wrote:D0 was read
50 was length.

You know the longer I ponder this post I wonder if I have it right???????
Not a great worry as I don't expect to many will try to code it :D
Again it was a long long time ago and I for sure haven't used it since leaving in 92.

The thing I find most funny is the change in memory from 1967 until today.
In 1967 a 4k memory block was about 8 inches by 5 inches by 3.5 inches. It contained ferrite donuts that three wires passed through. Each donut was about 1/16 -1/8 inch in diameter and about 1/32-1/16 inch thick. Today 1 gig of memory occupies the space about 20 of these donuts. In 4k you had approx 36000 donuts, 4,000 donuts per plane and 9 planes, 1 plane per bit and a parity plane. Plus you had all the connectors and soldering bridges along with support frames and such. Thing weighed about 3 lbs.

Oh yea hard disk drives. One of the first you could actually change a platter. The factory would send a hoist frame that mounted to the machine and using a chain fall you would pull the individual platters off and replace them. I believe the hydraulic acturator required something like 5 gallons of oil. The whole drive weighed in about 1000 pounds

Enough with the old stuff!
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Ed in Tampa wrote:You know the longer I ponder this post I wonder if I have it right???????
Not a great worry as I don't expect to many will try to code it :D
Again it was a long long time ago and I for sure haven't used it since leaving in 92.

The thing I find most funny is the change in memory from 1967 until today.
In 1967 a 4k memory block was about 8 inches by 5 inches by 3.5 inches. It contained ferrite donuts that three wires passed through. Each donut was about 1/16 -1/8 inch in diameter and about 1/32-1/16 inch thick. Today 1 gig of memory occupies the space about 20 of these donuts. In 4k you had approx 36000 donuts, 4,000 donuts per plane and 9 planes, 1 plane per bit and a parity plane. Plus you had all the connectors and soldering bridges along with support frames and such. Thing weighed about 3 lbs.

Oh yea hard disk drives. One of the first you could actually change a platter. The factory would send a hoist frame that mounted to the machine and using a chain fall you would pull the individual platters off and replace them. I believe the hydraulic acturator required something like 5 gallons of oil. The whole drive weighed in about 1000 pounds

Enough with the old stuff!
Ahh! The Golden Years of 'RAMAC'.!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dlbristol
Platinum Member

Post by dlbristol »

AHH for the good old day, NOT!! I still have nightmares about taking a differential equations class that had FORTRAN IV programming " embedded" in the class. You had to type your own punch cards, dooming me to failure at the first step! Then you ran them through the complier which stopped at the first error found and spit all the cards back at you. :( After finding that error you repeated the process. I finally had to hire a lady to type my cards, so that I was looking for only programming errors, not typos.:o You had to leave your cards with the computer guys, and they ran them for you, fine if they didn't forget or drop them!. :mad: After you got the program to run, there was really not much of anyway to do a meaningful check.:confused: ( you sure as heck were not going to do the equations, by hand) Either subject would have been difficult by itself, but both together was impossible. My hat is off to those of you who were able to do the machine language and all of that. I will say I learned a lot and with the later BASIC language and VisaCalc work I have a better understanding of the new spread sheets and how to use them. As for me, I will take my Mac laptop and all the "canned" programs available. If I had to write and type in my own programs, I'd never even try.
Saw dust heals many wounds. RLTW
Dave
BigSky
Gold Member

Post by BigSky »

What is all this gibberish. It sure doesn't have to do with Maintenance and Repair of anything.
MarkFive510
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

buck50bmg wrote:Anyone who wants to know of a potential lead on a nice Mk V in Va, let me know via PM.

Thanks
Okay now what was this discussion really all about????
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

BigSky wrote:What is all this gibberish. It sure doesn't have to do with Maintenance and Repair of anything.

Nothing! Those who do not learn their history are doomed to repeat it! The thirst for knowledge is not satiated by a single 'flavor' per glass! That has nothing to with maintenance and repair either.

Perhaps the 'community' branch is where most of this belongs, but then we couldn't discuss any machine related maintenance subjects there.

This thread started on shaky ground/thin ice since it was borderline selling etc. By diverting the subject away from that, it became more legitimate.

Be careful calling stuff 'gibberish'! Saying so implies lack of either understanding or tolerance, or Both! Off 'subject' Yes. Rambling? YES Gibberish? NIMHO!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

dlbristol
Platinum Member

Post by dlbristol »

fjimp wrote:Okay now what was this discussion really all about????
I thought we were discussing the similarities between machine language and maintenance. Some of what I did in my first try at re-setting planer blades looked at lot like my first try at Fortran programming. Just say it wasn't pretty.:)
Saw dust heals many wounds. RLTW
Dave