Latest Model Base Arm

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

billmayo
Platinum Member

Latest Model Base Arm

Post by billmayo »

I too need help this time. I have a few late 1990/2000s base arms that has no set screws to hold the way tubes. It looks like a lead plug (?) (different material) with a hole but no indents inside the lead plug hole. These Shopsmiths also had the casters with the allen head screw in each end of the lift bar. I tried all my old farming tricks but no luck. I will try drilling the lead plug next if no one has a solution. I ended up sawing the way tubes off leaving about 4" at the base arm to play with. I made SHORTY way tubes (18" shorter) from these tubes. Any help, information and/or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Bill,
Very interesting! This sounds like a temporary production attachment system which must have been discontinued in more recent years. My 2007 unit has the allen-head screws (all very accessible) for the Way Tubes.
Chris
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

Dave Ruggles answered my question. Thanks. I disassemble and reassemble all my frames upside down on short saw horses. It makes the casters really easy to work on. I never thought to look under the way tubes (actually on top outside of the base arm) for a set screw (first ones I have seen on the outside). That took care of two of my base arms. Of course, the one I am fighting has no set screws in the base arm. Even Kroil is not helping me. A big pipe wrench and a large hammer will not loosen either of the short 6" tubes I left to play with. A torch is next on the list to try.
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

Two hours and a lot of heat from a torch with the large pipe wrench and a big hammer finally broke the short way tubes loose. It looks like there were some kind of gunk/crud/LocTite used and the base arm aluminum had galled to the steel tubes. I ran my brake hone inside the tube holes on the base arm to clean the inside up. It appears no set screws were used as the holes were filled with this gunk/crud. I retapped the set screw holes and will have to see if I bent the base arm before using it.