Dust REMOVER

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Dust REMOVER

Post by Gene Howe »

My dust collector (2hp from HF) was too tall to fit where I wanted it to be. Which was OUT OF MY WAY!
Yesterday, I cut a hole in the outside wall, put in a 5" flue pipe and attached the DR (Used to be a DC:) ) hose to that.
One bag is great for covering the stowed band saw. I rigged up the other one with magnets and it now collects shavings from the free standing jointer.
Now I'm cogitating on what to do with the neat wheeled platform the DC sat on.
Maybe build a box for it to roll under the SS to catch the saw dust that the DR doesn't get?
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

Gene:

While not entirely sure of what you have done, it appears to me that you are now "free flowing" the exhust to the outside. This could very well increase the air flow to the extent that the motor will be overloaded and burn up. If you have access to an amprobe, this will tell you if you are exceeding the full load amperage of the motor.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Thanks 8iowa.
I do have access and I will check it. May need to rig a "filter" bag or some thing outside.
I have a cyclone lid on a 30 gallon metal trash can on the inlet side (of course). Would that provide any restriction?
Gene
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I'm confused.

If he is "free flowing" the exhaust does that not reduce the current drawn by the blower motor because there is "no back pressure"?

As far as finding a use for the DC platform - consider putting some sorta container (rubber maid garbage, etc) where the bag used to be and use it as a container for cut offs. This could then be rolled out of the way whenever.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Thanks Dusty. Essentially, that's what the under the SS box will be. I have two large plastic tubs under there now. As cut offs are rendered, I toss them in those tubs. As now configured, the platform raises the tubs to just a hair too high to fit under the SS. Different tubs may be on my list. Walmart has 'em for about $4.00. Certainly lighter than a wood box.
Gene
Gene

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:I'm confused.

If he is "free flowing" the exhaust does that not reduce the current drawn by the blower motor because there is "no back pressure"?

As far as finding a use for the DC platform - consider putting some sorta container (rubber maid garbage, etc) where the bag used to be and use it as a container for cut offs. This could then be rolled out of the way whenever.
I assume Ralph is thinking(as am I) that the motor is a 'universal'(brushes) type motor(high RPM) that will experience less torque load and as a result run faster than 'normal'. This(contrary to superficial logic) will cause the current and temperature to increase.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

JPG40504 wrote:I assume Ralph is thinking(as am I) that the motor is a 'universal'(brushes) type motor(high RPM) that will experience less torque load and as a result run faster than 'normal'. This(contrary to superficial logic) will cause the current and temperature to increase.
Ralph and JPG,
It'll run usually less than 10 minutes at a time, usually less. When the saw is shut off the DR goes off, too. It'll come back on after maybe 10 more minutes...or longer. Do you guys think that length of time would cause a heat problem?
Gene
Gene

Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Well, I hooked it all up, put the amp probe on, set it to record the highest data point, turned it on and after 20 minutes the highest amp reached was .04. I don't think it's going to get too hot.
Thanks Ralph and JPG, for alerting me to this. If I hadn't checked it and it burned out, I'd have kicked myself.
Gene
Gene

bucksaw
Gold Member

Post by bucksaw »

I'm pretty sure the HF motor is brushless. Probably will run cooler without the extra load of the filter bags.

* 2 horsepower, 120 volt, 60 Hz, 20 amp peak single-phase motor
* Clear bottom bag for easy cleanup
* 3450 RPM
* 4" intake and 4" exhaust diameter
* Four swivel locking casters for portability
* 1550 CFM air suction capacity
* Lockable toggle switch
Dave - Idaho
Greenie S#261612 - Mar 1954 / Greenie S#305336 - Oct 1955 / Gray S#SS1360 - ?

"Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?" :cool:
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Buck, mine is probably an older model.
It didn't have the clear bottom bag and the exhaust dia. is 5".
Everything else matches, though.
Gene
Gene