Motor won't turn

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rralmond
Bronze Member

Motor won't turn

Post by rralmond »

When I switch on my Mark V the motor strains, but won't turn. If I remove the drive belt it runs freely. The speed control looks like it it interferring, but I can't run the speed dial up to fast as reccommended to remove the controller. I have released the retaining loop on the leaf spring on the end of the speed controller inside so the entire system can run free. I can turn the chuck and everything seems to move freely, but when I turn on the switch the motor makes about 1/4 turn and refuses to move.

Ralph
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

Here's a photo of what it should look like. Can you describe what your seeing? Oh, and PS, welcome to the forum. It's a slow day today so be patient. You'll get plenty of help, I assure you.
[ATTACH]6934[/ATTACH]
Attachments
good speed control.jpg
good speed control.jpg (53.84 KiB) Viewed 6285 times
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Lets see if I understand your 'description'.

1) With the belt on the motor pulley the motor stalls when trying to start.

2) With the belt off the motor pulley, the motor runs.

3) The chuck turns freely. Is this with the belt ON the motor pulley?

4) Sliding the loop off the quadrant gear will not 'help' it run free.

If turning the 'chuck' is turning the pulley on the idler shaft, it should be possible to run the speed control up while turning the 'chuck'.(the disc sander makes this easier to turn by hand) This will not change the sheave adjustment unless the loop is back on the quadrant gear arm(the leaf spring)

Howsomeever, One thing needs to be determined first. With the belt off the motor pulley, can you pull on the belt so as to make the idler pulley rotate(freely) more than one revolution? I am guessing it will not!

If it will not, the belt has dropped down too far into the idler shaft sheaves. In order to free it, the sheave must be moved toward the quadrant gear.

Is the belt less than 1/2" wide at the outer surface?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rralmond
Bronze Member

Yippeeeeeeeeeee

Post by rralmond »

Thanks to both of you.

I seem to have it running... Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Not totally sure what happened but it seems like the speed controller dial was off of the telling me extactly where the quadrant gear really was and I was running it into the idler without knowing.

By turning the chuck by hand and running the speed controlloer back up and down it has seemed to get back to giving me an accurate reading and allows everything to turn freely.

I don't know if this makes any sense. As long as I have it apart I will go through the manual and clean and lube everything they say I should.

Let me know if you think there is anything else I should look at.

Ralph
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

rralmond wrote:Thanks to both of you.

I seem to have it running... Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Not totally sure what happened but it seems like the speed controller dial was off of the telling me extactly where the quadrant gear really was and I was running it into the idler without knowing.

By turning the chuck by hand and running the speed controlloer back up and down it has seemed to get back to giving me an accurate reading and allows everything to turn freely.

I don't know if this makes any sense. As long as I have it apart I will go through the manual and clean and lube everything they say I should.

Let me know if you think there is anything else I should look at.

Ralph

Ralph,

Make sure to follow #13 on this page.
http://allinonewood.com/?page=shop/serviceadvisor&

Watch this too.
http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Archives/SS117/SS117_Replacing_Speed_Changer.htm

You need to make sure that your speed control can't crash into you pulleys.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
rralmond
Bronze Member

Post by rralmond »

Thanks Mike,

I read the page and watched the video. I will check my speed controller and make any needed adjustments.

Happy Holidays form the wet and cold Northwest.

Ralph