Convert a 10er jig saw to a Mark V?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jtime101
Silver Member

Convert a 10er jig saw to a Mark V?

Post by jtime101 »

Hello, I am new to the forum and recently picked up a model 510. I recently got a good deal on a jointer and the seller also had a jig saw for a 10er model that I picked up very cheep. Has anyone ever retrofitted one of these to a Mark V headstock? Looking at it it seems that it would be possible to cut the casting to fit on top of the mark v head and create a new mounting system. Looking for info on this if you have done it, think it would work, or have opinions on it. Thanks.
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

jtime101 wrote:Hello, I am new to the forum and recently picked up a model 510. I recently got a good deal on a jointer and the seller also had a jig saw for a 10er model that I picked up very cheep. Has anyone ever retrofitted one of these to a Mark V headstock? Looking at it it seems that it would be possible to cut the casting to fit on top of the mark v head and create a new mounting system. Looking for info on this if you have done it, think it would work, or have opinions on it. Thanks.
You're talking about the jigsaw that mounts on top of the headstock, right? I have one of those jig saws, but I haven't actually used it yet. I've got some issues with the coupler still to work out. But, from what I've read other people post on the Shopsmith10ERUsers yahoo group, it's far from one of the best jigsaws in the world. Evidently it's very jumpy or bouncy. I've never heard of anybody modifying it to fit on a Mark V.
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jtime101 wrote:Hello, I am new to the forum and recently picked up a model 510. I recently got a good deal on a jointer and the seller also had a jig saw for a 10er model that I picked up very cheep. Has anyone ever retrofitted one of these to a Mark V headstock? Looking at it it seems that it would be possible to cut the casting to fit on top of the mark v head and create a new mounting system. Looking for info on this if you have done it, think it would work, or have opinions on it. Thanks.
IMHO Not a good idea! If you could figger a way to mount it without significant removal of material of either the jig saw housing or the mark V housing, I would have a different 'opinion'.

Keep at it though! You may be able to 'get it done'. Just do not compromise structural strength.

You might be able to mount it off the back(left) end if you can get it connected to the Mark v output shaft.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

My personal opinion is it isn't a good enough jig saw to be worth the time and effort (ignoring the "just to do it" factor which I know first hand is often very convincing!). If you really want to use that jigsaw, you'd be better off getting an actual Model 10ER to mount it to.
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
wlhayesmfs
Platinum Member

Post by wlhayesmfs »

I'm with Heath, have both the ER jigsaw and the 610 for the MKV. I keep the one for the ER just to have it but don't use it since it is not the smoothest. I would find the older 610 for the MKV or a newer model of it was me. I never give up on any parts for the ER just to have them.
My two cents.
Bill :)
Broken Arrow OK
MKV, 510, MKVll, 50th Anniversary 520 with Jointech saw train, Bandsaw, scroll saw, joiner, 6" Sander,Stand Alone Pin Router and Router Table, Strip Sander, Jigsaw & (4) ER's plus Jigsaw for ER. DC SS RAS