Paint Colors

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tkhudson
Gold Member

Paint Colors

Post by tkhudson »

4 years ago I was lucky enough to score a 1957 Greenie that had been sitting in a barn for about 30 years. Once I discovered the cardinal rule of twisting the speed control with the motor not running had been broken and repairs were made; it has turned out to be a great machine. Alas it is time to replace some bearings and give it a new lease on life, as the Gilmer belt is running to one side of the cog drive.

I have a few questions:

During my readings in preparation for this project, I had been doing a lot of online research and unfortunately failed to document it. I have a couple of questions.

Is there a source for OEM style hammertone paint? it seems I had read that Rustoleum makes a close match?

Is there a full article on a 2 bearing conversion for Gilmer drives? I read the other posting on here using 2 spaced bearings at one end. How is that working out? Im not really dedicated to dumping the Gilmer Belt as this belt has set for over 30 years and is still in great shape. I have spares as well.

I would like to incorporate some kind of "lift kit" into the legs as I am 6'-1 and have a real hard time doing any turning for any length of time with my sawmill abused back and shoulders. Any proven upgrades here?

I would like to keep this machine as OEM as possible also incorporating upgrades that will make the machine more accurate and easier to operate
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

Welcome to the forum tk. Glad to have you.

Rustoleum hammered silver and verde greenare very good paint matches. Verde green is scarce in some areas but check Home Depot, Lowe's, good paint hardware stores.

Others will follow on your other questions. They've all been discussed in the forum.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
pmateosian
Silver Member

Post by pmateosian »

I searched hi and lo for Rustoleum Verde Green and could not find it at any of the local hardware stores, Lowes or HD. I did find a couple of cans on Amazon.com of all places. The price was a bit high at 11.49 per can but the shipping is free if you buy 3 cans. This is a discontinued color and will probably be gone when the current supply is used up.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=s ... erde+green

Still haven't gotten the hang of inserting links or actual photos into the post...

-Paul
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

pmateosian wrote:I searched hi and lo for Rustoleum Verde Green and could not find it at any of the local hardware stores, Lowes or HD. I did find a couple of cans on Amazon.com of all places. The price was a bit high at 11.49 per can but the shipping is free if you buy 3 cans. This is a discontinued color and will probably be gone when the current supply is used up.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=rustoleum+verde+green

Still haven't gotten the hang of inserting links or actual photos into the post...

-Paul
You got me paranoid. Even though I've heard that Rustoleum would discontinue Verde Green, it just didn't hit me until I realized that I still have a Greenie awaiting restoration along with a joiner so I went down and cleaned out my local Home Depot. $6.49 per can. I asked if they were going to reorder and the guy said yes. But then, the new breed of HD guys say a lot of stuff with NO CLUE what their saying. Time will tell. He said the Rustoleum rep comes in to inventory and reorder weekly. I'll know in 2 weeks if they replenish.
[ATTACH]7092[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Img_7923mod.jpg
Img_7923mod.jpg (73.71 KiB) Viewed 8612 times
Mike
Sunny San Diego
pmateosian
Silver Member

Post by pmateosian »

Hope I'm wrong, but this is what several folks have told me....Maybe it's just a regional thing, but I looked far and wide before I paid Amazon's premium price.

-Paul
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

pmateosian wrote:Hope I'm wrong, but this is what several folks have told me....Maybe it's just a regional thing, but I looked far and wide before I paid Amazon's premium price.

-Paul
You do what you gotta do to get the job done!! Premium prices are better than no product. Maybe the discontinuation is why Amazon is charging so much. That supply and demand 'thang'. I am going to shoot an email to Rustoleum right now to 'see it straight from the horses fingers'.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
mpcarr
Gold Member

Post by mpcarr »

#11 in the following thread says it is being reformulated, not really discontinued. Of course it was posted several months ago so things might have changed.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=2969

r/ Mike
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

mpcarr wrote:#11 in the following thread says it is being reformulated, not really discontinued. Of course it was posted several months ago so things might have changed.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=2969

r/ Mike
There's a discrepancy with info posted by bucksaw in post #3 of the same thread. bucksaw says 'discontinued'. Hopefully, from a purist sense, a reformulation 'discontinues' the previous part number yet the new formulation / new part number will be very close match. I'll make sure to post when I get current Rustoleum position on this.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

I just received an email response from Rustoleum regarding the future availability of the Verde Green Hammered spray paint. All it did was provide the telephone number for product support (1-800-323-3584) so I called. The rep I spoke to indicated that the paint is still being manufactured and there was no indication that it was going to be discontinued. FYI.

For those having difficulty locating the color, I'd suggested calling the product support number.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:I just received an email response from Rustoleum regarding the future availability of the Verde Green Hammered spray paint. All it did was provide the telephone number for product support (1-800-323-3584) so I called. The rep I spoke to indicated that the paint is still being manufactured and there was no indication that it was going to be discontinued. FYI.

For those having difficulty locating the color, I'd suggested calling the product support number.

I looked for it @ HD yesterday. None! No place on the shelf for it. A 'brighter' green was there.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange