older mark v found on craigslist

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

papahammer8
Gold Member

older mark v found on craigslist

Post by papahammer8 »

i looked up a serial # on ss site couldn't find it ss# 60045 . Could it be one from the 60's when ss #'s were lost. another "? someone painted it a light gray. i scratched the paint it has a dark grey as in my 79 model mark v. Would like to sand it down to original, and repaint. i found this one in panama city fla. a machinist had it . He replaced all bearings and belts. Runs out smooth. Did notice that when u got to the high end it seem to keep on going didnt want to push it any farther . Speed changer might need to be looked at.There was no rust on way tubes ,but a lot of scratches and over spray. When i extended the quill it seem sticky , there was grease on the gear. Has he got the all screw on top to tight . Only gave 200 dollars for it . plus a 4 hour drive south then back roughly 400 miles round trip. haven't decided what to do with it yet. Have 1 mini setup as a sanding station disc,belt,drum.My 79 model has been doing duty has a drill press, then the onery change over to my bandsaw. i don't use my mark v's in the tablesaw function. have 2 craftsman 10in. table saws. that does quite well for what i use them for. well only spt. i need (which i was lookingfor oncraigslist) is the strip sander, which i tried to order from shopsmith but as usual they would have to backorder and couldn't give me any time frame for delivery geez. must have patience. can anyone tell me the color of paint the dark grey shopsmith uses want it back likenew thanks jim
jim bandy lafayette alabama 79 model 500 /80 model 500/94model 510 mini/ planer/dc3300/bandsaw/jointer/ lathe duplicator/ router table with a porter cablerouter.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

papahammer8 wrote:i looked up a serial # on ss site couldn't find it ss# 60045 . Could it be one from the 60's when ss #'s were lost. another "? someone painted it a light gray. i scratched the paint it has a dark grey as in my 79 model mark v. Would like to sand it down to original, and repaint. i found this one in panama city fla. a machinist had it . He replaced all bearings and belts. Runs out smooth. Did notice that when u got to the high end it seem to keep on going didnt want to push it any farther . Speed changer might need to be looked at.There was no rust on way tubes ,but a lot of scratches and over spray. When i extended the quill it seem sticky , there was grease on the gear. Has he got the all screw on top to tight . Only gave 200 dollars for it . plus a 4 hour drive south then back roughly 400 miles round trip. haven't decided what to do with it yet. Have 1 mini setup as a sanding station disc,belt,drum.My 79 model has been doing duty has a drill press, then the onery change over to my bandsaw. i don't use my mark v's in the tablesaw function. have 2 craftsman 10in. table saws. that does quite well for what i use them for. well only spt. i need (which i was lookingfor oncraigslist) is the strip sander, which i tried to order from shopsmith but as usual they would have to backorder and couldn't give me any time frame for delivery geez. must have patience. can anyone tell me the color of paint the dark grey shopsmith uses want it back likenew thanks jim
May 1980. I assume it says 'Shopsmith, Inc.'. Get rid of the grease on quill pinion and rack. Do high speed adjustment.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

papahammer8 wrote:i looked up a serial # on ss site couldn't find it ss# 60045 . Could it be one from the 60's when ss #'s were lost....
Hi Jim,

The large gap in serial numbers is knot due to their getting lost; SS was knot in business during that time, i.e., there were no ShopSmith units being manufactured during that time.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

[quote="a1gutterman"]Hi Jim,

The large gap in serial numbers is knot due to their getting lost]
Tim: Magna America continued building Mark 5's up until 1967. SS Inc started up in 1972. SN info not available from 1962 - 1967(records lost from Magna American to Shopsmith Inc.).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

JPG40504 wrote:Tim: Magna America continued building Mark 5's up until 1967. SS Inc started up in 1972. SN info not available from 1962 - 1967(records lost from Magna American to Shopsmith Inc.).
Thanks for the correction, Red! I did knot realize that, and I was thinking of the time between Maga America and ShopSmith Inc., when there was no manufacturing of Mark V's. So I guess that was between 1967 and 1972. A 5 year period instead of 10 years (I guess I was 1/2 right).
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
papahammer8
Gold Member

serial #'s

Post by papahammer8 »

thanks red and tim . plus what was left of magna was found in mississippi in 72. when folkert was looking for a part to a radial arm saw i believe. i believe it was built in 80 , does says shopsmith inc.identical headstock as my 79 model . just has a amatuer paint job. just a lil tlc to bring her back to her former glory now we need proper color paint. thanks guys ___ jim
jim bandy lafayette alabama 79 model 500 /80 model 500/94model 510 mini/ planer/dc3300/bandsaw/jointer/ lathe duplicator/ router table with a porter cablerouter.
papahammer8
Gold Member

pics

Post by papahammer8 »

just a couple pics not much to look at ( yet)[ATTACH]7104[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7105[/ATTACH] i tried to take pic of ss # to much flash had _____ jim
wlhayesmfs
Platinum Member

Post by wlhayesmfs »

Jim, picture say that it is in pretty good shape for her age, We all look forward to see her new coming out later next year.
Good find.
Bill :)
Broken Arrow OK
MKV, 510, MKVll, 50th Anniversary 520 with Jointech saw train, Bandsaw, scroll saw, joiner, 6" Sander,Stand Alone Pin Router and Router Table, Strip Sander, Jigsaw & (4) ER's plus Jigsaw for ER. DC SS RAS
papahammer8
Gold Member

progress update

Post by papahammer8 »

Have got it torn down . Wasn't really in to bad of shape. Had to sacrifice tie bar. Done all i could do to remove it. 5/32 allen screw wouldn't budge. they are quite common on e- bay. Way tubes are pretty ruff looking but have them sanded down . Done put 2 coats paste wax on them and buffed them. only hope to make new looking again is to replace them. na i'll polish them a few more times and let it go. This 500 will be my drill press. not much call for sliding back and forth. just a lil up and down maybe.Went to lowes this am . Found a light gray spray paint put out by valspar . Think it is fairly close to shopsmith gray. Will post again later. hagd ____ jim
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

papahammer8 wrote: Done put 2 coats paste wax on them and buffed them. hagd ____ jim
So ya cleaned the first coat off with the second coat.:D
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob