"New 10ER" help with rivets

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

shipwright
Platinum Member

"New 10ER" help with rivets

Post by shipwright »

While home in Canada for Christmas I happened upon a 10ER that needed a new home. I'll post more including Photos when I finish the spruce up. For now my question is can I remove the name plate rivets without destroying them or damaging the plate? I think this may be a pre-die cast sand casting because there is no access hole behind the plate... solid cast - and the casting surface appears to be sand cast texture. It would be nice for painting to be able to remove the plate but I dont want to ruin the plate or the rivets. The lower rivet also obscures the serial # which is R 38253 or 39253... the rivet covers the bottom of the 8 /9. I believe this places its bithhday somewhere in 1950 .
Paul M ........ The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

shipwright wrote:While home in Canada for Christmas I happened upon a 10ER that needed a new home. I'll post more including Photos when I finish the spruce up. For now my question is can I remove the name plate rivets without destroying them or damaging the plate? .......
The fasteners are called "U-drive screws". Bottom one is easy to remove and top one required a little creativity due to limited space to work but also comes out easy. They push out from the inside of the headstock. Go to post 50 and 51 of my ER resto threadto see how I did it.

Good luck with the ol' girl.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

Thanks Mike
I could have sworn I looked at all your restoration posts. I guess I missed one. Still wondering about the origin of the casting.
Paul
Paul M ........ The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

shipwright wrote:Thanks Mike
I could have sworn I looked at all your restoration posts. I guess I missed one. Still wondering about the origin of the casting.
Paul
Although the aluminum Mark 5 came in two versions(early sand cast, and later die cast), the 10 e/r is cast iron. I am not aware it was anything but sand cast nor could it be.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

Thanks JPG
I got the info about the casting types from Nick's commernt in this thread

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthr ... ial+number

Paul