Informaation about Shopsmith Mark VII

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ol Max
Bronze Member

Informaation about Shopsmith Mark VII

Post by Ol Max »

I bought a Shopsmith on auction and not realizing that a Mark VII is not considered a real Shopsmith. It is somewhat incomplete, mainly the variable drive system. I understand from some searching that any repairs are hard to find. I need suggestions as to how to proceed. Will any Shopsmith parts for variable speed work on the Mark VII?
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

One big Mark V speed changer part assembly will work on a Mark VII - the complete Mark V headstock. The way tube spacing is the same for both machines. Otherwise, the speed changing systems are different between the two. The Mark VII uses a cam arrangement where the Mark V uses the worm gear driven quadrant (pork chop) to position the control sheave.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

SDSSmith wrote:One big Mark V speed changer part assembly will work on a Mark VII - the complete Mark V headstock.
That must be one mother of a big access hole!!!
Mike
Sunny San Diego
mikemarkvii
Silver Member

Post by mikemarkvii »

The mark VII is as much a real shopsmith as the 10 er, brownie, goldie, and anniversity models. It was built by magna, which owned shopsmith at the time. However it was not built by Shopsmith, inc. which was founded in the early 70's.
Unfortunately, most speedchanger parts are not widely available. Depends on what you're missing. You can buy a mark VII info pack from shopsmith, that has parts numbers and drawings that will be a big help. Another forum has a section devoted to the VII, which along with this one has a lot of info you can research.
If shopsmith will ever come out with their new motor/headstock [a whole 'nother thread] that would be my personel favorite choice.
When you figure out what parts are missing, let us know and I will help as much as possible.

mike