Cabinet Door Upgrades

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Yeah! I really like this system - got it from Woodsmith Magazine. Here are a couple of photos of the joint. The first one is from a cabinet door - the second is a thin cut off from a stile. There is a little chip off of the corner of the cut off, but we can ignore that.
[ATTACH]198[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]199[/ATTACH]
Attachments
door stile.jpg
door stile.jpg (137.54 KiB) Viewed 4631 times
X section stile.jpg
X section stile.jpg (137.77 KiB) Viewed 4633 times
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

johnmccrossen wrote:I'm thinking about trying to upgrade some old 3 /4" plywood kitchen cabinet lip type doors by eliminating the lip and fabricating a 2" frame around them so they look more like a panel style. Since I'm not experienced at cabinet door making, I was wondering about problems with glueing a solid framework to a plywood door vs a floating panel. Would an attached frame tend to split at the corner joints due to expansion/contraction. These doors are over 50 years old and seem to be made of good solid plywood. Any cabinet door making advice would be appreciated. Maybe I better try some planter boxes or bird houses instead.

Thanks, John McCrossen
I've been reviewing the "Hands On" archives. Boy! They're good! Look at January/February 2004 issue (on Line) for great ideas for kitchen cabinet doors.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA