Dallas Traveling Academy

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rtait78
Bronze Member

Dallas Traveling Academy

Post by rtait78 »

I am signed up for the course in the Dallas area on 23 May. I went on line today to see where it was being held and it is no longer listed on the website. I've been on hold with customer service for 15 minutes waiting my turn. Does anyone have the address of the hotel it is being held at. Thank you!

I am really looking forward to going; now I just find out where I'm going!?! :confused:

Ron
rtait78
Bronze Member

Post by rtait78 »

Disregard. I just found out it was cancelled. :mad:
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I missed the academy held in Tampa this year due to previous committments but this cancelation really concerns me. I don't know the actual cost to SS but I would think enrollment should cover most and from the academies I have attended the sales generated had to be a plus.

I think SS made a serious mistake when they stepped back from the publishing and mailing Hands on and I think sacrificing the academies is another.
Ed
woodburner
Gold Member

Post by woodburner »

I found out earlier this week all the Traveling Academies, except for the west coast, have been cancelled until further notice.
They have also stopped the Shopsmith demonstrations at Lowe's and other venues, except for the west coast, until further notice.
The company is going through a restructuring process right now. The company makes about 50-60% of all their revenue just on the west coast, that is why those programs have not been cancelled there.
Sawdust & Shavings,
Woodburner:o
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

The company makes about 50-60% of all their revenue just on the west coast, that is why those programs have not been cancelled there.
What are the reasons for this? Any ideas?
rdubbs
Gold Member

Post by rdubbs »

Here's an idea. The cost of living is more expensive, generally, on the West coast, but the cost of the Shopsmith is the same. So it takes less of a bite out of your wallet.

I was trained last summer to sell cookware. The biggest cookware sales totals were on the West coast for the same reason.

When a modest 3 br house costs $500,000 or more, Shopsmith does not look expensive.
Rick Dubbs
2004 520 w/bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC 3300, Universal Lathe Tool Rest, Talon chuck, & Lathe Duplicator
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Rick:

That's an interesting thought! Ithink it has a lot of merit.

I had wondered if the weather had anything to do with it. It's a lot easier to have a shop in a warm climate.

John
woodburner
Gold Member

Post by woodburner »

I'm a little confused. True, the cost of living is more on the west coast, which actually means that we have "LESS" money at the end of each month, not more. How does that translate into the cost of a Shopsmith not hurting the pocket book as much? In fact, the opposite is true. Have you seen the gas prices out here lately, $3.50 a gallon for regular, wow!
I was told by a Shopsmith employee that the company feels the reason for this is that the people on the west coast still have the do-it-yourself spirit, which seems to be lacking the more you travel east. That's what I was told. Also, the local woodworking club's memberships just in my area of CA reach over 300 members. That in itself should say something about how we like to work with our hands out here.
Any comments?
Sawdust & Shavings,
Woodburner:o
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

I've been hinking in he same vein as woodburner on this subject!!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

It could be that people on the West Coast spend huge amounts on older homes that need work. When I first moved here I was amazed how cheap great wood was. In New York my house had all finger joint woodwork and plywood doors. Here in Oregon I have all oak molding, 6 panel doors, maple floors with mahogany inlay and all my furniture is hardwoods made locally by true craftsman. My house here cost 1/2 of the house I sold in New York (same size), so the whole West Coast is not like California.