First generation compressor diaphragm

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

easterngray
Platinum Member

First generation compressor diaphragm

Post by easterngray »

Does anyone know where I could get a new diaphragm for a first generation Magna compressor? I imagine I could make one myself if I can come up with the proper material. It is fabric reinforced rubber material. Thanks - Alec

UPDATE: I found 3/32" fabric reinforced neoprene diaphragm material in 12" x 12" sheets for under 7 bucks at McMaster Carr. Alec
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

easterngray wrote:Does anyone know where I could get a new diaphragm for a first generation Magna compressor? I imagine I could make one myself if I can come up with the proper material. It is fabric reinforced rubber material. Thanks - Alec

UPDATE: I found 3/32" fabric reinforced neoprene diaphragm material in 12" x 12" sheets for under 7 bucks at McMaster Carr. Alec
I am glad that you found something that will work for you, Alec!
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
easterngray
Platinum Member

Post by easterngray »

Thanks Tim - I fired up my Magna compressor today in order to prime the doors I just built and it sounded like it was giving me a "Bronx cheer". :eek:
I opened it up and discovered that the diaphragm had a long tear in it - dry rot I suppose. Shouldn't be hard to fix. In the meantime, I broke out a brush to prime the doors. Effective, but not nearly as fun as painting with a Mark V! Alec
easterngray
Platinum Member

Post by easterngray »

I received the material from McMaster Carr and fabricated a new diaphragm. The 3/32" material is thicker than the original diaphragm and the compressor now works better than ever - but man is it LOUD :eek:
If anyone out there has a compressor that needs a new diaphragm feel free to PM me as I have plenty of material left over to make more.
Here it is on the Goldie...

MAGNA COMPRESSOR
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

easterngray wrote:I received the material from McMaster Carr and fabricated a new diaphragm. The 3/32" material is thicker than the original diaphragm and the compressor now works better than ever - but man is it LOUD :eek: ...
Do knot forget to wear hearing protection!:)
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.