A Couple of Arbor Questions

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bluekayak
Gold Member

A Couple of Arbor Questions

Post by bluekayak »

Along with my 1980 Gray I bought in November was an unmounted rubber abrasive wheel with a 5/8" hole. I figured the universal 5/8" arbor would work fine for that, and I was lucky enough to get two of them with my Gray. Neither the wheel nor the arbors had been used. However, the 5/8" arbor does not seem to fit the hole in the wheel. There is no 5/8" spacer, and the threaded rod is less than 5/8".

The vernier caliper was set to the size of the hole in the abrasive wheel. The smallest spacer, under the inside measuring prongs, is obviously too large to fit inside the wheel's hole. You can see a small gap on the right side of the arbor shaft next to the caliper.

My other question about arbors has to do with the standard 1 1/4" arbor at the bottom of this picture. It also came with the gray and was in an unopened package. However, I have not been able to get it on the headstock spindle. There was quite a large burr where the set screw was drilled. I am thinking up attaching some sandpaper to a dowel and seeing if I can clean it up a bit. Is there any reason why I should not do this, or do any of you have a better idea.

Thank,

Jerry Floren
St. Peter, MN
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

bluekayak wrote:Along with my 1980 Gray I bought in November was an unmounted rubber abrasive wheel with a 5/8" hole. I figured the universal 5/8" arbor would work fine for that...the 5/8" arbor does not seem to fit the hole in the wheel. There is no 5/8" spacer, and the threaded rod is less than 5/8"...

...My other question about arbors has to do with the standard 1 1/4" arbor...There was quite a large burr where the set screw was drilled. I am thinking up attaching some sandpaper to a dowel and seeing if I can clean it up a bit. Is there any reason why I should not do this, or do any of you have a better idea....
Hi Jerry,

I have knot used such a wheel, but the regular grinding wheels that I am familiar with come with plastic bushings in the center hole, so you can fit them to different size shafts. I wood recommend that you try to get or make a bushing to reduce the slop.

As for the arbor, yes indeed, try to clean up the burr! I see no reason knot to.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

bluekayak wrote:Along with my 1980 Gray I bought in November was an unmounted rubber abrasive wheel with a 5/8" hole. I figured the universal 5/8" arbor would work fine for that, and I was lucky enough to get two of them with my Gray. Neither the wheel nor the arbors had been used. However, the 5/8" arbor does not seem to fit the hole in the wheel. There is no 5/8" spacer, and the threaded rod is less than 5/8".

The vernier caliper was set to the size of the hole in the abrasive wheel. The smallest spacer, under the inside measuring prongs, is obviously too large to fit inside the wheel's hole. You can see a small gap on the right side of the arbor shaft next to the caliper.

My other question about arbors has to do with the standard 1 1/4" arbor at the bottom of this picture. It also came with the gray and was in an unopened package. However, I have not been able to get it on the headstock spindle. There was quite a large burr where the set screw was drilled. I am thinking up attaching some sandpaper to a dowel and seeing if I can clean it up a bit. Is there any reason why I should not do this, or do any of you have a better idea.

Thank,

Jerry Floren
St. Peter, MN

I'd operate on the burr with a round file (the largest I had that would go into the opening). Avoid taking out anything other than the burr. I would also run a set screw down into the arbor as far as I could without getting in the way of the file. When done filing, run the set screw the rest of the way through the hole to clean out the threads.

When you refer to the threaded rod being less than 5/8", I assume you are speaking of the threaded portion of the arbor. If so, mine measures .623" and the inside diameter of the other end is .624". Similar measurements were taken on three different arbors.

In your photo image, that collar shown should fit perfectly on the threaded shaft of the arbor. If it does, I would conclude that your Shopsmith parts are all as they should be and that the rubber wheel (which is also SS) is actually not 5/8" by design.

Is it intended to be a very snug fit????
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I'm confused.

Is the hole in the rubber wheel too small or too large?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

bluekayak wrote:

Thank,

Jerry Floren
St. Peter, MN

Dusty, the wheel hole is larger than the arbor shaft.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

In that case, I think that the first thing to do would be to call customer service to learn what was originally intended.

The other thought would be to take the arbor and the wheel to some place like ACE and select a brass bushing.

Could it be that when a washer and nut tightened down on that wheel is all that would be required????
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
bluekayak
Gold Member

Post by bluekayak »

Thanks Bob and Dusty. It definitely seems like some type of bushing is needed for the rubber abrasive wheel, and perhaps there was one when this was purchased by the original owner.

I was able to get it fairly well centered by looking at the wheel and centering the shaft before adding the other parts. It was good enough to use. It really is nice for touching up your chisels while your are turning as you can mount it on the opposite side spindle.

Jerry Floren
St. Peter, MN
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

This is probably a dumb question and I probably missed your measurements. But is the arbor your trying to mount the wheel on a 1/2" shaper arbor. It appears that there is a small diameter shaper rub collar in your picture. I have the rubber bonded wheel and it has a 5/8" hole. It mounts fine on a 5/8" arbor. If yours doesn't, I would guess that someone has modified it.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
bluekayak
Gold Member

Post by bluekayak »

Thanks Bob, Rob, and Dusty. I think Rob is right. It seems like a 1/2" shaft, and there is a shaper with all the stuff I bought. The package said it was a 5/8" universal arbor, but the previous owner may have moved things around. There also is a dado set mounted on an arbor, and maybe that has the 5/8" arbor. I'll call Shopsmith and find out what is needed. That abrasive rubber wheel seems quite useful.

Jerry Floren
St. Peter, MN