Current Dust Collection Accessory promotion...

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tom_k/mo
Platinum Member

Current Dust Collection Accessory promotion...

Post by tom_k/mo »

I was looking at the email notification for the latest ShopSmith sale, on Dust Collection accessories. Looking at the item (N) 2-1/2" Dust Collection Hose Valve, it got me to thinking... I guess I was having a senior moment, but I never thought about shutting off the other 2 ports on my DC3300, I guess it would work allot more efficiently if I did... :o

Anyway... looking at the photo, it shows 2 2-1/2" ports coming out either side of the DC3300 and a single 1-1/4" port coming out the bottom. Looking at my DC3300, I've got 2 1-1/4" ports coming out either side, and one 2-1/2" coming out the bottom. Hmmmm.... Either way, I still need to shut off the 2 smaller port openings to get the maximum efficiency out of my DC3300. Anyone know if they make a shutoff for the smaller port? If not, anyone got any good suggestions for plugging them up?

Also, wish they had a crevice tool attachment available...
ShopSmith MarkV-520 with Belt Sander, Jointer, Band Saw, Strip Sander, Scroll Saw and Biscuit Jointer SPTs and a DC-3300...
Woodworking Hobbyist (Check out all my Woodworking Plans (http://vbwhiz.isa-geek.net/plans)
Aspiring Sandcarver: Breaking glass one grain at a time.
Black Powder Shooter (love the smell of burning sulfur).
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

tom_k/mo wrote:I was looking at the email notification for the latest ShopSmith sale, on Dust Collection accessories. Looking at the item (N) 2-1/2" Dust Collection Hose Valve, it got me to thinking... I guess I was having a senior moment, but I never thought about shutting off the other 2 ports on my DC3300, I guess it would work allot more efficiently if I did... :o

Anyway... looking at the photo, it shows 2 2-1/2" ports coming out either side of the DC3300 and a single 1-1/4" port coming out the bottom. Looking at my DC3300, I've got 2 1-1/4" ports coming out either side, and one 2-1/2" coming out the bottom. Hmmmm.... Either way, I still need to shut off the 2 smaller port openings to get the maximum efficiency out of my DC3300. Anyone know if they make a shutoff for the smaller port? If not, anyone got any good suggestions for plugging them up?

Tom, if you do a search for DC topics, I believe that you will find some discussion about the benefits of leaving the ports open, but if you want to plug them, SS does make this plug available. :D No crevice tool though! BTW, I find it easier to find items-that-I-did-knot-know-that-I-needed-until-I-came-across-them-when-thumbing-through-their-catalog: Oh! That's right! SS no longer has a printed catalog! Bummer. I keep looking through my old ones.

edit: See this thread, especially post 12. A further search will reveal more on this topic. A search for "open ports" netted me 15 threads (including this one that you just started).

Hey Tom, I just caught that picture of a couple of dogs you posted. The little one is cute!
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

tom_k/mo wrote:......

Tom, take another look at your ports. I think that you will find that you have three 2-1/2" ports. The bottom one on yours probably has an adapter in it. The dust collector comes with two 2-1/2" plugs and one 2-1/2" to 1+" adapter. The two plugs also look like adapters with rubber caps on them. If you don't have the plugs, I suspect you could make them. You could turn wooden plugs on a lathe. Do you have a lathe?:D
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
tom_k/mo
Platinum Member

Post by tom_k/mo »

SDSSmith wrote:Tom, take another look at your ports. I think that you will find that you have three 2-1/2" ports. The bottom one on yours probably has an adapter in it. The dust collector comes with two 2-1/2" plugs and one 2-1/2" to 1+" adapter. The two plugs also look like adapters with rubber caps on them. If you don't have the plugs, I suspect you could make them. You could turn wooden plugs on a lathe. Do you have a lathe?:D
Rob, here's a pic of my DC3300. It looks slightly different than the one in the photo on the e-mail flier. I took a closer look at it this morning, and I don't THINK that I have 2 adaptors... I see no fasteners to hold them on, and I tried giving one a good twist to see if it was a force fit, and it didn't budge. It looks to me as if the 2 side ports are permenently mounted. Looking at a picture of the 2-1/2" to 1-1/4" Adaptor (C) the adaptor looks longer with a larger 2-1/2" sleeve than what's shown on my DC3300.

[ATTACH]7200[/ATTACH]
Attachments
dc3300.jpg
dc3300.jpg (136.72 KiB) Viewed 7008 times
ShopSmith MarkV-520 with Belt Sander, Jointer, Band Saw, Strip Sander, Scroll Saw and Biscuit Jointer SPTs and a DC-3300...
Woodworking Hobbyist (Check out all my Woodworking Plans (http://vbwhiz.isa-geek.net/plans)
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

tom_k/mo wrote:Rob, here's a pic of my DC3300. It looks slightly different than the one in the photo on the e-mail flier. I took a closer look at it this morning, and I don't THINK that I have 2 adaptors... I see no fasteners to hold them on, and I tried giving one a good twist to see if it was a force fit, and it didn't budge. It looks to me as if the 2 side ports are permenently mounted. Looking at a picture of the 2-1/2" to 1-1/4" Adaptor (C) the adaptor looks longer with a larger 2-1/2" sleeve than what's shown on my DC3300.
Thanks for the pic, Tom. You have the same two plugs in your side port that I have. The connection to the bottom port with the elbow is different than mine. Mine is like the one in the Shopsmith ad picture:ImageIs the elbow assembly attached or does it just plug into the lower port of the dust collector?
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
judaspre1982
Platinum Member

DC 3300 Dust Ports

Post by judaspre1982 »

===============================
DT aka Agent Orange is a POS
Liar Liar his wonky comb over is on fire
Last edited by judaspre1982 on Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tom_k/mo
Platinum Member

Post by tom_k/mo »

Dave, thanks for the pics. Now that I see how they come out I'll go out and give it a try a little harder. (didn't want to break anything right off the bad). :rolleyes:
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

The adapters in the two side ports do not appear to be Shopsmith parts. That being the case, they might be ever so slightly larger O.D. and therefore fit more tightly in the ports.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.