ebay speed control (repair)

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

shipwright
Platinum Member

ebay speed control (repair)

Post by shipwright »

I did a search on this topic and was surprised to find no results. My Green Valley (AZ) greenie arrived with a fairly badly stripped speed control gear in the crank handle. This seems to be a very weak point on an otherwise brilliantly designed machine. Anyway I sent the handle away to the fellow who advertises "repair" on ebay and received back by return mail a better than new part for $16. He actually bores out the aluminium casting and presses in a steel gear. Very impressive work for the price.

Paul M
Paul M ........ The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

shipwright wrote:I did a search on this topic and was surprised to find no results. My Green Valley (AZ) greenie arrived with a fairly badly stripped speed control gear in the crank handle. This seems to be a very weak point on an otherwise brilliantly designed machine. Anyway I sent the handle away to the fellow who advertises "repair" on ebay and received back by return mail a better than new part for $16. He actually bores out the aluminium casting and presses in a steel gear. Very impressive work for the price.

Paul M
Yes, this fellow "grany555" on Ebay does outstanding work. He has an impressive current Ebay Listing #220535398325 that shows what he does to the Speed Control Handle. I have most of my Speed Control Handles done by him as that eliminates a fairly common problem. Most owners do not have a 3/32" allen wrench to check that the handle is always tight on the worm gear shaft. This should be an added check when the headstock is lubricated and belt tension is checked.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
thainglo
Gold Member

Post by thainglo »

I'm with Bill. He did a great job on one of my dials, very nice guy to deal with - will either rework your existing dial or send you one in exchange.
Lost count, over a dozen rebuilt/repaired/restored
Personal equipment: 510 made in 1993, belt sander, jig saw, band saw, planer and jointer

Matt in GA
bucksaw
Gold Member

Post by bucksaw »

thainglo wrote:I'm with Bill. He did a great job on one of my dials, very nice guy to deal with - will either rework your existing dial or send you one in exchange.
Price was right but the dial I got back was machined slightly off center which caused uneven tension when turning the dial. I keep it as a spare and bought a new handle from SS.
Dave - Idaho
Greenie S#261612 - Mar 1954 / Greenie S#305336 - Oct 1955 / Gray S#SS1360 - ?

"Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?" :cool: