Major bandsaw tire issue

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jlg710
Bronze Member

Major bandsaw tire issue

Post by jlg710 »

Hi Folks, I need some help. After cleaning the bandsaw wheels with laquer thinner and a wire brush on a drill, following the installation instructions for the urethane tires AND letting them sit overnight, the tires popped off the wheels in a matter of seconds and one of them got cut half in two. What did I do wrong? HELP!!
james.miller
Gold Member

Post by james.miller »

The following thread is about over-sized bandsaw tires http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthr ... dsaw+tires

If you bought them from Shopsmith they should replace them also the seam should be guaranteed for a long time, mine are guaranteed for life but I bought them from a different outfit before Shopsmith started selling them.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Now I'm finally interested in Urethane tires. Re-read all of the posts in the Thread Jim showed us. I've yet to find a concrete reason of what is good about these tires! What would entice some one to switch to urethane tires? In re-reading the Thread I found only one general (but repeated) good report - "a big improvement". An improvement over what?

The definitive reasons were all negative; (they come off - they are too narrow - they cause the tension to change - they are difficult to put on - they run only at lower speeds).

What's good about them that would entice a person to switch from rubber? Do they make the smooth running saw run smoother? Do they make the accurate saw more accurate? Are folks switching only because they have a lifetime guarantee?
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
james.miller
Gold Member

Post by james.miller »

The Urethane tires won't crack or dry rot and should last much longer than rubber tires. Also no glue when installing.

I like mine and but only changed them because the rubber tires were starting to get small cracks.

The tires coming off were due to the manufacturer sending the wrong size tires and I have only heard of one coming apart.

There are other companies making Urethane tires but I haven't seen the blue ones in the 11 inch size.

Urethane tires are difficult to install but the rubber ones are difficult to remove because of the glue and eventually they will have to be changed because of dry rot.

Jim in Tucson
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

james.miller wrote:...Urethane tires are difficult to install but the rubber ones are difficult to remove because of the glue and eventually they will have to be changed because of dry rot.

Jim in Tucson
Don't you just hate dry rot? I'd like say to use silicon on rubber tires to keep them from cracking, but Ed down in Tampa has cautioned against it. Maybe we rubber users should try "Armor All".
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

charlese wrote:Don't you just hate dry rot? I'd like say to use silicon on rubber tires to keep them from cracking, but Ed down in Tampa has cautioned against it. Maybe we rubber users should try "Armor All".

Armor All is silicone. Or at least that is what I have been lead to believe.

I'm not sure the little cracks in the rubber is all that important. Unless the rubber starts to chunk off I don't think the tiny cracks cause much of a problem.

Sometimes we SS look for problems and I have found if you look hard enough you will find something. All kidding aside I think we need to focus more on building things, jigs that solve problems and less of worrying about tiny little cracks that show up in all rubber products.
Ed
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

Sometimes we SS look for problems and I have found if you look hard enough you will find something. All kidding aside I think we need to focus more on building things, jigs that solve problems and less of worrying about tiny little cracks that show up in all rubber products.
Ed
I totally agree with you Ed. As I've said before, these service/repair posts are valuable, but I would like to see more actual woodworking posts.