Reducing plywood tearout

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

heathicus
Platinum Member

Reducing plywood tearout

Post by heathicus »

Just saw this page and video at woodgears about how to reduce (or eliminate?) tearout in plywood. I thought it was interesting enough to share.

http://woodgears.ca/shop-tricks/tearout.html
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
bucksaw
Gold Member

Post by bucksaw »

Or you can buy a quality plywood only blade and get almost 0 tearout. I personally would never attempt to cut a piece of wood on my saw by pulling it across the blade backwards, even if it was on my sled.
Dave - Idaho
Greenie S#261612 - Mar 1954 / Greenie S#305336 - Oct 1955 / Gray S#SS1360 - ?

"Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?" :cool:
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

bucksaw wrote:Or you can buy a quality plywood only blade and get almost 0 tearout. I personally would never attempt to cut a piece of wood on my saw by pulling it across the blade backwards, even if it was on my sled.
Since I have just done that, please explain to me why you think I should refrain in the future. Before you have to tell me, it did feel weird because it works against many of your nature instincts; those developed by standing on the other side.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

Scoring cuts can be done with out the extra blade. Just adjust your blade to just touch make a pass then repeat the cut at full depth. This is commonly done when routing so you don't get chip out. Control is of course essential so think how you are going to make sure the two cuts are the same.

Lots of ways to do this, taping the cut area is also common as well as cutting through some sacrificial material or using zci's.

Lots of ways for lots of folks, different methods for different projects, keep watching and learning and saving some of these ideas for future projects. I like to try things out and sometimes I find a way I like better and sometimes I don't.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

bucksaw wrote:Or you can buy a quality plywood only blade and get almost 0 tearout. I personally would never attempt to cut a piece of wood on my saw by pulling it across the blade backwards, even if it was on my sled.
Even a little skim cut like that shown in the video? I have Dusty's question too.....how come you wouldn't.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
bucksaw
Gold Member

Post by bucksaw »

mickyd wrote:Even a little skim cut like that shown in the video? I have Dusty's question too.....how come you wouldn't.
1. I have multiple plywood blades and have no reason to attempt the described scoring operation.

2. I don't feel that I would have safe control of the workpiece.

3. On a longer scoring operation I would probably have to be moving away from the saw. Could step on something or loose my balance and fall. Bad idea for me.
Dave - Idaho
Greenie S#261612 - Mar 1954 / Greenie S#305336 - Oct 1955 / Gray S#SS1360 - ?

"Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?" :cool:
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

This months issue of WOOD Magazine has an article on how to deal with wood tearout on ply when it occurs. They offer three work arounds.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

Ed in Tampa wrote:This months issue of WOOD Magazine has an article on how to deal with wood tearout on ply when it occurs. They offer three work arounds.

Sounds like a tease..........are you selling or have stock in Wood magazine?]
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

Not a tease my not listing the work-arounds. They were really just common sense. "Molding, chamfer a profile, recut and edge with solid material."
It was the type of article that is written when the editor has two extra pages and can't find anything worthwhile.
They forgot some of the best fixes: Lots of Durham's filler, A thick coat of paint, beat wood with hammer and call it distressed. :D
Did I forget anything?
I do read Wood Magazine. Not only is it a decent publication, but I need to order something every year from the grandkid's magazine sales.
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Like any other potentially hazardous endeavor, it is not so much what you do as how careful you are and are you recognizing the hazard(s) and watching for/minimizing/eliminating it.

The 'problem' with a 'reverse' cut is the old climb vs plow cutting phenomenom. When you cut with a saw in the reverse direction, you are climb cutting(the cutting blade is climbing into the workpiece[i.e. pulling the workpiece towards the blade]). IF the workpiece is held adequately so that the workpiece is NOT pulled by the blade, it can be done with desired results. However if it is NOT held adequately, all hell breaks loose.

Therefore proceed only with caution and with sufficient confidence that if it does break loose, no damage will be done(to either the workpiece or the 'operator' or the equipment).

BTW Do we all understand why reverse/shallow cuts reduce tearout?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange