Weekly Blog - June 4th

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Ed:

Can't wait to see the finished product!

John
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

This has been an interesting experment. I managed to learn a few things and for that it was worth it. I'm doing as a gift and know I'll not get in the business of making these.

A lot more problems finishing then I expected.... I have a second one turned and shaped with the drum sander that sorts of looks like a river runt and I will be doing a very different paint job on that one..... and if I do ever do more I will used a different wood, the cedar is just to soft.

I may have miss lead you about this lure... it is for catching people... take a look and see if you were caught.

Ed
Attachments
done now.jpg
done now.jpg (69.93 KiB) Viewed 10885 times
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

john wrote:Ed:

...I see you get pretty good results with your wobble blade. I have the SS one but was never very happy with results so I got a Sears stacking dado on sale last year. It's better but still not perfect....
Try this with both your wobble and stacked: Turn the speed up and move the workpiece slowly. "N" for the stacked and "O" for the wobble. Since the blades are smaller in diameter, the surface speed of the blade tips is a lot slower than the 10" saw blade. The faster blade speed along with slower wood movement should give you better cuts. This increased speed also ends any of that feel of vibration that some have complained about. Since there only a few teeth on the wobble (16), slower speeds allow you to feel the strikes of the teeth. I think the Sears stacked dado is a little larger blade than the SS wobble.

Yes, I think I get real good results with my SS carbide tipped wobble. I ran the 29/32 trial cut through a stain sample, by mistake. (the piece was upside down when I grabbed it) As the piece had been stained and finished with polyurethane - any shoulder chipping stands out like a sore thumb. I don't think I could have done better with a stacked dado (on this finished piece). Believe me, the shoulders are quite smooth. If this hadn't been a finished piece, don't believe we would have noticed anyside edge shredding. (Can't feel any!) Anyway a couple of passes with 220 would have removed them. The bottom of the dado is quite (not perfectly) flat. About .002" off of flat. The 1/4" grooves and the 3/8" dados are pretty flat bottomed too. (Kinda like some folks I know) Joint? not perfect but O.K. for a shop cabinet!
Attachments
3 eighths wobble dado.jpg
3 eighths wobble dado.jpg (162.42 KiB) Viewed 10879 times
one qtr. dado groove & three 8ths rabbet.jpg
one qtr. dado groove & three 8ths rabbet.jpg (161.92 KiB) Viewed 10879 times
corner  of  door not perfect, but O.K..jpg
corner of door not perfect, but O.K..jpg (108.63 KiB) Viewed 10882 times
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Chuck:

Good job on the corner. As mentioned in one of my previous posts, I'm not too good on joints etc., and this type is one I have been hesitant to try. Oh well maybe someday, after all it only took about 15 years for me to try a rocking horse and now I've done four in a year and a half.

Have fun

John
john
Platinum Member

Lure

Post by john »

Ed:

It looks like it is for the size of fish I have only dreamed of.

John
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I guess the week is really over and we should be on to next week but I was just thinking about Chucks project.

A few years back I build something like his project but rather then a library it was in the form of tool storage.

I did make the mistake of using door hinges..... the sag on the doors has made me regret that. Now I can't claim these as a project of the week, but I thought perhaps some people might like to see them anyway.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/elv60504@sb ... 2404196035

Ed